What inspired Hubble to become a scientist?

kpresley
I am a student of Physics and have an Anthropology background which you cannot hold against me, I was much younger then. I knew there was hope when I heard years ago Hubble started out as a lawyer when he was younger. I do have a website up Greg with a link to this forum and would like to direct traffic to your forum instead of setting up another, which was my original intent before I found yours. I would like to contribute all I can within time and knowledge constraints. I am fairly new to Physics but not academia as a whole, but still most of my day is now spent studying and learning new and exciting things. Thank you for such a wonderful forum format, I can only imagine the time and effort you have applied here. I will email you my Physics website url Greg and look forward to participating in the forum. Kenneth

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
http://physicssandbox.com with the link to the forum on the start page under Sandbox admin links (right side of page). This is very cool format you have and I look forward to adding to it when I can.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Not that nice of a site yet, but thanks and for the gold, long way to go to make it a real site. Was in a study group over the summer and got the idea in May. Learning Wolfram most of the summer with little time to devote to the site, mostly links people have suggested and some I liked (but all have been reviewed) It will become useful beyond resource links in the future. Do you mind if I move your forum link to the top of the pages and replace my PS forum coming soon links, (scratch that idea) to direct students here in Florida to your forum? I am sitting on top of NASA and the schools that are supported. Physics Forums would be a great resource for them.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
kpresley said:
Do you mind if I move your forum link to the top of the pages and replace my PS forum coming soon links, (scratch that idea) to direct students here in Florida to your forum? I am sitting on top of NASA and the schools that are supported. Physics Forums would be a great resource for them.
Absolutely, thanks for the support!

kpresley said:
I am a student of Physics and have an Anthropology background which you cannot hold against me, I was much younger then

Nice to have you here KP! :smile:

Thanks Greg, nice to have landed here. I will post the updates on my site for the PF in a few and suggest using the forum to buy their materials through PF. After being in the campus bookstore today $$$, I don't think that will be an issue with anyone. Here's the kicker, in response to amazon and such the universities are starting to custom brand textbooks to that certain school (which seems to only be the schools name printed on the back of the book so far). Saving grace for smart students wanting to save on their student loans :) most professors have not required the branded books for their classes. Thank again Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks berkeman, very nice to be here.

Related to What inspired Hubble to become a scientist?

1. What sparked Hubble's interest in science?

Hubble's interest in science was sparked at a young age when he received a telescope as a gift from his parents. He was fascinated by the stars and spent countless hours observing the night sky.

2. Did Hubble always know he wanted to become a scientist?

No, Hubble initially studied law at Oxford University. However, after attending a lecture by renowned astronomer, Sir Arthur Eddington, he became inspired to pursue a career in astronomy.

3. What motivated Hubble to study astronomy specifically?

Hubble was drawn to the mysteries of the universe and the opportunity to make groundbreaking discoveries. He was also influenced by the advancements in technology, such as the invention of the telescope, which allowed for a deeper understanding of the cosmos.

4. How did Hubble's military service impact his scientific career?

During World War I, Hubble served in the military and was stationed in France. While there, he continued to study astronomy and even used his knowledge to improve the accuracy of artillery fire. This experience solidified his passion for science and his dedication to using it for the greater good.

5. What legacy did Hubble leave behind as a scientist?

Hubble's legacy as a scientist is immense. He is most famous for his discovery of the expanding universe, which revolutionized our understanding of the cosmos. He also made significant contributions to the fields of cosmology, astrophysics, and observational astronomy. The Hubble Space Telescope, named in his honor, continues to provide us with stunning images and valuable scientific data.