What interactions are involved in these particle decays?

In summary, the first two interactions involve weak charged current interactions mediated by the W boson, the third involves a strong force interaction, and the fourth involves a weak interaction mediated by the W boson.
latentcorpse
justify which interactions is involved in each of the following:

[itex]\pi^0 \rightarrow \gamma \gamma[/itex]
[itex]\pi^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu[/itex]
[itex]\pi^- p \rightarrow \triangle (1232) \rightarrow \pi^0 n[/itex]
[itex]K^0 \rightarrow \pi^+ \pi^-[/itex]
ok the first one i ruled out strong force since particles on right don't have colour charge. i ruled out weak netural currecnt (Z boson) interaction since fermion flavour isn't conserved. so its between weak charged current ( [itex]W^{\pm}[/itex] boson) or electromagnetic). i think it's probably W boson since photons don't have charge so you can't have a vertex on the Feynman diagram with three photons meeting. is this right?

for the second one, i ruled out strong force and Z boson for same reasons as above. this time, seeing as they are charged, i don't know how to decide between W boson or electromagnetic? any ideas?

i have no clue for the third one since i don't know what [itex]\triangle (1232) [/itex] is.

the fourth one I am not sure about either but i have the feeling its a weak interaction. posisbly a W boson since the fermion flavour does change. but I am not sure whether its W+ or W- or how to rule out the strong and electromagnetic interactions.

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first interaction, it is a weak charged current interaction mediated by the W boson. For the second interaction, it is also a weak charged current interaction mediated by the W boson. For the third interaction, it is likely a strong force interaction. The \triangle (1232) is an excited state of a nucleon, and the strong force is responsible for the interactions between nucleons. For the fourth interaction, it is likely a weak interaction mediated by the W boson. The fermion flavour does change, and the strong force does not interact with the K^0 since it is a neutral particle.

Related to What interactions are involved in these particle decays?

What is the concept of forces in particle physics?

Forces in particle physics refer to the interactions between subatomic particles, which are mediated by force-carrying particles. These forces can be attractive or repulsive and play a crucial role in the structure and behavior of matter at a very small scale.

What are the four fundamental forces in particle physics?

The four fundamental forces are the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, electromagnetism, and gravity. These forces are responsible for all known interactions between particles and are described by different theories and mathematical models.

How do these forces affect the behavior of particles?

The strong nuclear force holds together the nucleus of an atom by binding protons and neutrons. The weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a role in the fusion processes that power the sun. Electromagnetism governs the interactions between charged particles, while gravity is the weakest force but has a universal influence on all particles.

Can these forces be unified into one theory?

Scientists have attempted to unify the four fundamental forces into a single theory, known as the "Theory of Everything." However, this has not been achieved yet, and various theories and models continue to be developed and tested.

What is the role of particle accelerators in studying forces?

Particle accelerators are essential tools in studying forces in particle physics. They use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high energies and collide them, allowing scientists to observe the interactions and behavior of subatomic particles. This helps in understanding the fundamental forces and their role in the structure of matter.

Back