What is a budget-friendly reference for precalculus material?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a precalculus reference book that is not too expensive. Another person recommends a book by Lang, which they have personally used and found helpful. They also mention another option, Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley, which can be found online for a lower price. The person looking for the book expresses concerns about the potential errors in the recommended book and difficulties in finding a copy in their country.
phospho
could anyone recommend me a book which summarises a lot of the precalculus material which I can use as a reference. I don't have much to spend.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley for precalculus studying. I found an older version online for about $10. You cannot go wrong with Lang, though. :smile:

micromass said:
Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20
An excellent book by an excellent writer. It contains all the mathematics one needs before attempting calculus.
It's not a dumbed-down book, so expect no easy exercises or funny cartoons. But you can learn a lot from it.
I was looking online on it for reviews and it people say that there is a lot of errors in the book, did you have any problem with these errors?

Dembadon said:
I used Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley for precalculus studying. I found an older version online for about $10. You cannot go wrong with Lang, though. :smile:

I found one copy of this on amazon for £100, it seems that it is too old to find (I'm from the UK).

I understand the importance of having a reliable reference for mathematical concepts. I would recommend checking out "Precalculus Demystified" by Rhonda Huettenmueller. It covers a wide range of precalculus topics in a clear and concise manner, making it a great reference for those on a budget. Additionally, websites such as Khan Academy offer free resources for precalculus material. I hope this helps in your search for a comprehensive summary of precalculus.

Related to What is a budget-friendly reference for precalculus material?

What is basic mathematics?

Basic mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with fundamental concepts such as numbers, operations, and equations. It is the foundation for more advanced branches of mathematics and is essential for everyday tasks such as budgeting, measuring, and problem-solving.

What are the main topics covered in basic mathematics?

The main topics covered in basic mathematics include arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), fractions, decimals, percentages, basic algebra, geometry, and basic statistics.

Why is it important to have a good understanding of basic mathematics?

Having a good understanding of basic mathematics is important because it enables us to make accurate calculations and solve problems in our daily lives. It also helps us develop critical thinking skills and prepares us for more advanced math concepts.

What are some resources that can help improve basic mathematics skills?

There are many resources available to improve basic mathematics skills, including textbooks, online courses, tutorial videos, and practice problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or participating in a study group can also be beneficial.

How can I overcome my fear of math and improve my basic mathematics skills?

Overcoming fear of math and improving basic mathematics skills takes practice and patience. It is important to start with the basics and work your way up, seeking help and guidance when needed. Breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps can also make math less intimidating. With consistent effort and a positive attitude, anyone can improve their basic mathematics skills.