What Is a Good Companion Book for Wald?

• Relativity
  • Thread starter QFT25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: I need.In summary, the speaker is taking a graduate class in general relativity and finds their professor to be good at explaining the material. However, they struggle with problem sets from the textbook "Wald" and are looking for a companion book to help them understand better. They receive several suggestions, including Sean Carroll's lecture notes, his textbook "Spacetime and Geometry," Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's "Gravitation," and Geroch's lecture notes. The main advantage of these books is their good prose explanations and slower pace. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestions and plans to look into Carroll's lecture notes.
QFT25
I'm taking a general relativity class and the professor is really good. When I'm in class I understand everything he is saying. However when it is time to do problems sets from Wald I struggle a bit because I find Wald hard to read. I'm not saying Wald is bad but I feel like I can benefit if I had a companion book. Any ideas. Btw this is a graduate class.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend Sean Carroll's lecture notes:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

He later expanded and refined them into his textbook Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity. That textbook is a bit expensive, and any gaps in the notes it fills are more than covered by Wald, which you already have.

If you have a good university library, they might have Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's Gravitation, which is also excellent. They are pretty verbose, so their text is often good to go to for expanded explanations of various points. I can't recommend it to buy right now, because it is out of print and used copies are ridiculously expensive.

The main advantage to both of these as a companion to Wald is their good prose explanations and slower pace.

Likes Demystifier
Thanks you all very much for the wonderful suggestions. I'll look into Carroll I heard a lot of good things about it,

Likes Demystifier and The Bill

Related to What Is a Good Companion Book for Wald?

1. What is the purpose of a companion book for Wald?

A companion book for Wald is meant to supplement and enhance the content of the original book. It may provide additional information, exercises, or insights related to the main text.

2. How do I choose a good companion book for Wald?

When choosing a companion book for Wald, it is important to consider the specific topics or themes that you are interested in learning more about. You should also look for reviews and recommendations from other readers.

3. Can a companion book be used as a substitute for reading Wald?

No, a companion book should not be used as a substitute for reading the original book. It is meant to be used in conjunction with the main text and provide additional perspectives and information.

4. Are there any specific criteria for a good companion book for Wald?

There is no one specific set of criteria for a good companion book for Wald, as it ultimately depends on the reader's individual preferences and needs. However, some qualities to look for may include clear and concise writing, relevant and valuable information, and compatibility with the main text.

5. Can a companion book enhance my understanding of Wald?

Yes, a well-written and informative companion book can greatly enhance your understanding of Wald. It can provide different perspectives, deeper insights, and additional context to the main text, ultimately enriching your reading experience.