What is a good sequence through math for physicists?

In summary, the conversation is about the math requirements for a physicist and the best course sequence to learn it rigorously. The person asking the question has already researched and listed some recommended books for high school math, calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, real analysis, complex analysis, abstract algebra, and differential geometry. They are currently working on Apostol's Calculus and are open to suggestions for a more direct route.
Thinker301
Hello everybody, this is my first post.

I was wondering, what math a physicist needs. I know about the mathematical methods books, but I was hoping to learn as much math as I can rigorously. (I find it fascinating)

So what kind of course sequence would encompass a lot of the math needed for a physicists.

I have seen the guide for math on the string theory website, but a lot of it is very discrete. (Not class-type, rather one part of a class. (e.g. it separately lists lie groups, but I recently learned that you can learn that topic in an abstract algebra class))

Also what math books would accompany the course. (Highest rigor possible)

Here is the list I have accumulated so far :

High school Math (Basic Mathematics by Lang)
Calculus (Apostol)
Linear Algebra (Hoffman)
Differential Equations (Arnol'd)
Real Analysis (Pugh)
Complex Analysis (Polka or Rudin)
Abstract Algebra(Dummit and Foote or Artin)
Differential Geometry(Spivak)

I apologize if I am ignorant, I am just starting my journey. I am currently working on Apostol's Calculus(Vol. 1 at the moment).

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is a good sequence through math for physicists?

1. What is the recommended sequence for learning math as a physicist?

The recommended sequence for learning math as a physicist typically starts with basic calculus, followed by linear algebra, differential equations, and then advanced topics such as complex analysis, partial differential equations, and vector calculus. It is important to have a solid foundation in these core math concepts in order to understand advanced physics concepts and equations.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to become a physicist?

Yes, it is essential to have a strong math background in order to become a successful physicist. Math is the language of physics, and without a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, it would be challenging to understand and apply complex physical theories and principles.

3. Can the sequence for learning math as a physicist vary?

Yes, the sequence for learning math as a physicist can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific field of physics one is interested in. Some may choose to focus on specific branches of math, such as differential geometry or topology, while others may prioritize specific topics based on their research interests.

4. Are there any resources available to help physicists with their math skills?

Yes, there are many resources available to help physicists improve their math skills. These include textbooks, online courses, workshops, and tutoring services. It is important to find resources that align with one's learning style and to seek help when needed to ensure a strong understanding of math concepts.

5. How can I improve my mathematical problem-solving skills as a physicist?

One of the best ways to improve mathematical problem-solving skills as a physicist is to practice regularly. Working through a variety of problems, both theoretical and applied, can help develop critical thinking and analytical skills. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians and collaborating with peers can also aid in improving problem-solving abilities.