What is a Hyperbolic Trigonometric Function and How is it Derived?

We can see that by the "difference of two squares" formula: cosh^2(t)- sinh^2(t)= (cosh(t)+ sinh(t))(cosh(t)- sinh(t))= 1.
basty
Could someone tell me what is a hyperbolic trigonometric function?

What is the difference between regular trigonometry and a hyperbolic trigonometry?

Also, why and how to derive and get

##\sinh x = \frac{e^x - e^{-x}}{2}##

?

Physics news on Phys.org
basty said:
Could someone tell me what is a hyperbolic trigonometric function?
Try a web search, using "hyperbolic trigonometric function" as your search string. You should be able to find answers to all of your questions.
basty said:
What is the difference between regular trigonometry and a hyperbolic trigonometry?

Also, why and how to derive and get

?

I wasn't able to find over the internet and in my calculus book of why

Please someone help me.

What definition of sinh are you using? I'm asking because that's usually taken to be the definition, so unless you're using an alternative one, there are not really any more "whys" involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
From googling "hyperbolic trigonometry", the third link gave
http://www.sosmath.com/trig/hyper/hyper01/hyper01.html
the fourth gave a Khan academy video
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/precalculus/hyperbolic_trig_topic [probably okay... but I haven't watched it]

All above links shows the identities of hyperbolic functions, not shows why ##\sinh x = \frac{e^x - e^{-x}}{2}.##

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the analogous definition of [itex]\sin x=\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2i} [/itex]?

The starting point for these is the exponential function [itex]e^x[/itex].
In the hyperbolic case, x is real.
In the circular case, x is pure-imaginary [itex]x=i\theta[/itex].

Write the exponential function as the sum of its "even part" and its "odd part"
[itex]C(x)=\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{x}+e^{-x}\right)[/itex]
[itex]S(x)=\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{x}-e^{-x}\right)[/itex]
so [itex]e^{x}=C(x)+S(x)[/itex]
In the hyperbolic case, these are cosh and sinh.
[itex]e^{x}=\cosh{x}+\sinh{x}[/itex]

In the circular case, where [itex]x=i\theta[/itex],
we have
[itex]C(i\theta)=\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta}\right)[/itex]
[itex]S(i\theta)=\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}\right)[/itex]
It turns out that ##C(i\theta)## is a real-valued function of ##\theta##, called ##\cos(\theta)##.
However, ##S(i\theta)## is a pure-imaginary function of ##\theta##. By defining the real-valued function of ##\theta## called ##\sin\theta\equiv \frac{S(i\theta)}{i}=\frac{1}{2i}\left(e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}\right)##,
we can write
[itex]e^{\theta}=\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}[/itex]

Last edited:
The regular trig functions are also called "circular functions" because if you let [itex]x= cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(t)[/itex], [itex]x^2+ y^2= cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t)= 1[/itex]. That is, they give the x and y components of a point on the unit circle.

The name for "hyperbolic functions" comes from the fact that [itex]cosh^2(t)- sinh^2(t)= \frac{\left(e^{x}+ e^{-x}\right)^2}{4}- \frac{\left(e^{x}- e^{-x}\right)^2}{4}= \frac{e^{2x}+ 2+ e^{-2x}- e^{2x}+ 2- e^{-2x}}{4}= 1[/itex] so that setting x= cosh(t), y= sinh(t), [itex]x^2- y^2= 1[/itex]. They give the x and y components of a point on the unit hyperbola.

Related to What is a Hyperbolic Trigonometric Function and How is it Derived?

What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are a set of mathematical functions that are derived from the hyperbola. They are used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between hyperbolic functions and trigonometric functions?

The main difference between hyperbolic functions and trigonometric functions is that hyperbolic functions are defined in terms of the hyperbola, while trigonometric functions are defined in terms of the circle.

What are the most commonly used hyperbolic functions?

The most commonly used hyperbolic functions are the hyperbolic sine (sinh), hyperbolic cosine (cosh), hyperbolic tangent (tanh), hyperbolic cotangent (coth), hyperbolic secant (sech), and hyperbolic cosecant (csch).

What are the applications of hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, model physical systems, and calculate complex quantities such as electric fields and heat transfer.

How are hyperbolic functions related to exponential functions?

Hyperbolic functions are closely related to exponential functions. In fact, the hyperbolic sine and hyperbolic cosine functions can be expressed in terms of exponential functions, making them useful in simplifying complex mathematical expressions.