What Is a Lepto-Diquark in Particle Physics?

• Thread starter Murtuza Tipu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Slansky's Group theory for unified model building and a specific state called a 4/3-charged antilepto-diquark. There is confusion about the origin of the charge assignment and whether it is a diquark or an anti-up quark. The conversation also mentions its role in mediating proton decay and the possibility of it being an outdated concept that is not directly ruled out by experiments.
Murtuza Tipu
[mod edit] This question was originally asked at https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/115053/whats-a-lepto-diquark

This questions refers to Slansky's Group theory for unified model building, page 106 of chapter 7.

He assigns the weight (1)(01), which is stepwise projected from E6 to SU(2)×SU(3), to a state which he calls a 4/3-charged antilepto-diquark.

I assume that the diquark comes from the 2×2/3 for the charge and the lepton from the fact that it will probably be contained in a multiplet together with the leptons...

What I don't understand:

Where does the charge assignement 4/3 comes from?

On the basis of the weight I would have called it a anti-up quark, since it is the upper component of the doublet, the 1 in the first brackets, and transforms as a 3¯ under SU(3) (since (01) is the corresponding fundamental weight). Hence I would assign it a charge 1/3, which later on will be used to determined the charges of the other particles. How does he comes to the conclusion that it must be a diquark?

He comments that it mediates the proton decay. I thought that usually a force is mediated by a boson... Does he means that since the quarks will be together with the leptons in a multiplet, the baryon number does not need to be conserved. Which unable the proton to decay?

Is this diquark something realistic or is it an out-dated object, i.e. ruled out by experiments? When and why was it postulated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of that happens at scales that are unreachable by experiments so it is not directly ruled out by experiments though it might be ruled out indirectly. he is assigning a lepton number of minus 1 and a Baryon number of plus 2/3 to that state, hence the antilepton-diquark terminology. The electric charge, lepton number, and baryon number are all U(1) gauge charges in this kind of model and can be calculated from the pattern of symmetry braking. Note that you posted that question in the wrong forum. You should've posted that in High Energy Forum, not the Classical Physics forum.

Related to What Is a Lepto-Diquark in Particle Physics?

1. What is a lepto-diquark?

A lepto-diquark is a type of hypothetical particle that is made up of two quarks and interacts with leptons. It is believed to exist in the realm of particle physics and has not been observed or confirmed yet.

2. How is a lepto-diquark different from a regular diquark?

A regular diquark is made up of two quarks that interact with other quarks, while a lepto-diquark interacts with leptons. This means that a lepto-diquark could potentially explain some phenomena that cannot be explained by regular diquarks.

3. What is the significance of a lepto-diquark in particle physics?

The existence of a lepto-diquark could potentially help explain some of the unsolved mysteries in particle physics, such as the origin of mass and the nature of dark matter. It could also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe.

4. Has a lepto-diquark been observed or confirmed?

No, a lepto-diquark has not been observed or confirmed yet. It is still a theoretical concept and further research and experimentation is needed to confirm its existence.

5. Are there any real-world applications for lepto-diquarks?

At this point, there are no known real-world applications for lepto-diquarks. However, if they are confirmed to exist, they could potentially have implications for technology and medical advancements in the future.