What is a point of using complex numbers here?

Hill
Gold Member
Homework Statement
"Here is a basic fact about integers that has many uses in number theory: If two integers can be expressed as the sum of two squares, then so can their product. With the understanding that each symbol denotes an integer, this says that if ##M = a^2 + b^2## and ##N = c^2 + d^2##, then ##MN = p^2 + q^2##. Prove this result by considering ##|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2##."
Relevant Equations
##|x+iy|^2 = x^2 + y^2##
Firstly, the exercise itself is not difficult:
On one hand, $$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
On the other hand, ##(a + ib)(c + id) = p+ iq## for some integers p and q, and so $$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |p + iq|^2 = p^2 + q^2.$$
Thus, ##MN = p^2 + q^2.##

However, it can be done quite straightforwardly, without considering the complex numbers, e.g.,
$$MN = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = a^2 c^2 + a^2 d^2 + b^2 c^2 + b^2 d^2 =$$$$a^2 c^2 + a^2 d^2 + b^2 c^2 + b^2 d^2 + 2abcd - 2abcd = $$$$(a^2 c^2 + 2abcd + b^2 d^2) + (a^2 d^2 - 2abcd + b^2 c^2) =$$$$(ac + bd)^2 + (ad - bc)^2 = p^2 + q^2.$$

I don't see an advantage of considering the complex numbers in this case. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
You could prove this slightly more easily by using the properties of the complex modulus. The required algebra is already encapsulated in the equation ##|zw|^2 = |z|^2|w|^2##.

PeroK said:
You could prove this slightly more easily by using the properties of the complex modulus. The required algebra is already encapsulated in the equation ##|zw|^2 = |z|^2|w|^2##.
Thank you. I thought I've used it in this line:
$$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
Is there something else there that I didn't use and that could simplify it further?

Hill said:
Thank you. I thought I've used it in this line:
$$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
Is there something else there that I didn't use and that could simplify it further?
That looks simpler than the alternative to me.

Likes Hill

Related to What is a point of using complex numbers here?

What is a point of using complex numbers in engineering?

Complex numbers are used in engineering, especially in electrical engineering, to simplify the analysis of alternating current (AC) circuits. They allow engineers to represent sinusoidal waveforms as phasors, making it easier to perform calculations involving impedance, current, and voltage.

What is a point of using complex numbers in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex numbers are essential for describing the state of a quantum system. The wave functions, which describe the probability amplitude of a particle's position and momentum, are complex-valued functions. This allows for the representation of phenomena like interference and superposition.

What is a point of using complex numbers in signal processing?

Complex numbers are used in signal processing to represent signals in the frequency domain. Techniques like the Fourier Transform convert time-domain signals into their frequency components, which are often complex numbers. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate signals, such as filtering and modulation.

What is a point of using complex numbers in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, complex numbers are used to solve problems involving potential flow. The complex potential function, which combines the velocity potential and the stream function, simplifies the analysis of incompressible and irrotational flows, allowing for the determination of flow patterns around objects.

What is a point of using complex numbers in control theory?

Complex numbers are used in control theory to analyze and design control systems. The use of complex numbers in the Laplace Transform and transfer functions allows for the analysis of system stability and response characteristics in the frequency domain, facilitating the design of controllers that ensure desired performance.