What Is a Pomeron? | Particle Properties Explained

• Thread starter Clear Mind
  • Start date
In summary, a pomeron is a theoretical particle that is considered to be the carrier of the strong nuclear force. Its properties include having a spin of 0 or 2 and not carrying any electric charge. There is still ongoing research and debate about the existence and nature of the pomeron.
Clear Mind
As the title says, what is a pomeron? I thought it was a particle but i can't find anything on the PDG ... If is a particle what are its properties?

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
Huh. I've never heard of the .m. version of wiki before.

DEvens said:
Huh. I've never heard of the .m. version of wiki before.

The .m version pops up when you use a mobile device to access the website and it thinks you'd prefer the less cluttered mobile version. I often use my iPad to look up stuff of interest.

jedishrfu said:
The .m version pops up when you use a mobile device to access the website and it thinks you'd prefer the less cluttered mobile version.
jedishrfu is correct... scroll to the page bottom and click on desktop if you don't like the mobile view.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomeron#External_links

Last edited:

FAQ: What Is a Pomeron? | Particle Properties Explained

1. What is a Pomeron?

A Pomeron is a hypothetical particle that was first proposed in the 1960s to explain the behavior of high-energy hadron collisions. It is thought to be a composite particle made up of gluons, the carriers of the strong nuclear force.

2. How is a Pomeron different from other particles?

A Pomeron is unique in that it has no intrinsic spin or charge, and its mass is not well-defined. It is also able to interact with itself, unlike other particles which only interact through external forces.

3. How is a Pomeron detected in experiments?

Since a Pomeron is not a fundamental particle, it cannot be directly detected in experiments. Instead, scientists look for evidence of its existence by studying the properties of high-energy hadron collisions and analyzing the data using theoretical models.

4. What is the significance of the Pomeron in particle physics?

The Pomeron is important in understanding the behavior of hadron collisions, which are crucial for studying the strong nuclear force. It also helps to explain the phenomenon of high-energy diffraction, where particles are scattered at large angles during collisions.

5. Are there any current experiments or research focused on the Pomeron?

Yes, there are several ongoing experiments and research projects dedicated to studying the properties of the Pomeron. These include experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and theoretical studies using quantum chromodynamics (QCD) to better understand the nature of this elusive particle.