What is a Rate? Should Pressure be Defined as a Rate?

• Thread starter alkaspeltzar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of rates in physics and math, where it is typically understood as a rate of change over time. However, different dictionaries define rates as any measure or quantity compared to another. The question is raised if pressure can be considered a rate, with examples given such as force per unit area. In the end, it is concluded that while there are different definitions of rates, it is not worth getting hung up on and pressure should simply be defined as force per unit area.
alkaspeltzar
In physics and Math, it was always understood that rates where a rate of change, typically per time such as speed and acceleration and such. But now I am confused.

Different dictionary define rates as any measure, quantity, or frequency, typically one measured against some other quantity or measure. They give examples like $/pound, flowers/person, miles/gallon, miles/ hour

So back to an earlier post, would that make pressure a rate? I know it is not a rate as in speed or anything like that. But I am curious I have never thought of it before and would like to know how others define pressure?

In the end, I don't want to get more confused, I just want to simply know what a rate is and if this definition is true, should I somehow be defining pressure as rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in science you can take "rate" to mean "rate of change". Those other examples you gave (flowers/person for example) might somehow be considered a rate when using English, but not in technical terms.

alkaspeltzar said:
would that make pressure a rate?
Does it matter?

Suppose we expressed pressure as KG/m^2. Does that make it a rate by your definition of rate? Force per unit area instead of force per unit time.

anorlunda said:
Suppose we expressed pressure as KG/m^2. Does that make it a rate by your definition of rate? Force per unit area instead of force per unit time.

I don't know, I guess I am thinking more less what PHINDS said, where we think of rates in science and such more as rates of change, rates based on time or how long something changes. Maybe in general terms that other definition applies and there for technically the other examples including pressure would be a rate, but as a previous poster stated, maybe I shouldn't care.

I guess as long as I know what pressure is or speed as a rate, then maybe I shouldnot worry

alkaspeltzar said:
I guess as long as I know what pressure is or speed as a rate, then maybe I shouldnot worry
Yes, getting hung up on issues that arise out multiple definitions in the English language instead of well defined technical terms is generally a waste of time.

phinds said:
Yes, getting hung up on issues that arise out multiple definitions in the English language instead of well defined technical terms is generally a waste of time.
Thank you, that is what I realized. I could stress about rates and what they mean and if pressure is one of them. In the end, I know what pressure is and its expressed lbs/in^2 so who cares. That and I also realized there are several definitions of rates: 1 Speed or rate of change(sciences), 2. Cost per item, 3. ratio or proportion. Well for what I do in my life, I don't think pressure really applies and taking a general definition and trying to apply it to all is more confusing than it is worth.

Thank you again for clarifying and answering my dumb question.

alkaspeltzar said:
In physics and Math, it was always understood that rates where a rate of change, typically per time such as speed and acceleration and such. But now I am confused.

Different dictionary define rates as any measure, quantity, or frequency, typically one measured against some other quantity or measure. They give examples like $/pound, flowers/person, miles/gallon, miles/ hour

So back to an earlier post, would that make pressure a rate? I know it is not a rate as in speed or anything like that. But I am curious I have never thought of it before and would like to know how others define pressure?

In the end, I don't want to get more confused, I just want to simply know what a rate is and if this definition is true, should I somehow be defining pressure as rate?
I agree with that.
I think pressure is a rate, Force/area right.
But what do I know I'm not a scientist.

FAQ: What is a Rate? Should Pressure be Defined as a Rate?

What is a Rate?

A rate is a measurement of how fast something changes over time. It is usually expressed as a quantity per unit time, such as miles per hour or liters per minute.

Should Pressure be Defined as a Rate?

Pressure is not typically defined as a rate, as it is a measure of force per unit area. However, some scientists argue that pressure can be thought of as the rate at which force is applied to a given area.

What is the difference between Rate and Velocity?

Rate and velocity are both measures of how fast something is changing, but they are not the same. Rate is a measure of how much something changes over time, while velocity is a measure of how much something changes in a specific direction over time.

Can a Rate be Negative?

Yes, a rate can be negative if the value being measured is decreasing over time. For example, a car's velocity could have a negative rate if it is slowing down.

How is a Rate Calculated?

A rate is calculated by dividing the change in a quantity by the change in time. For example, if an object's position changes by 10 meters in 2 seconds, the rate would be 5 meters per second (10 meters / 2 seconds).