What is a recommended book for learning Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inadequate teaching of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics in most places and the need for a clear and recommended book for students. Suggestions for books are given, including Physical Chemistry by Ira Levine, Berkeley's Physics Volume 5, Heat and Thermodynamics by Zemansky, and Engineering Thermodynamics Work & Heat Transfer by Rogers & Mayhew.
DonnerJack
Hi,

I found out that as a rule, almost everywhere, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are taught, well... badly. So most of the students (again, only from MY experience) stay with only obscure ideas about what one can do with thermodynamics/statistical mechanics and what is it good for.

Can anyone recommend a really good (and CLEAR) book for undergrads and maybe also for grad students?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think of Philip Morris?

Do you mean thermodynamics, as in the engineering class, or do you mean thermal physics/statistical mechanics, as in the physics class?

Callen's book is pretty good

what's the title?

Physical Chemistry by Ira Levine

I actually found Heat and Thermodynamics by Zemansky to be pretty good.

Engineering Thermodynamics Work & Heat Transfer
Rogers & Mayhew
Longman Scientific & Technical
ISBN: 0-582-30500-4

Mine's not new at Ed III but I found it useful in conjunction with other texts

FAQ: What is a recommended book for learning Thermodynamics?

1. What is a good book on thermodynamics for beginners?

A good book for beginners would be "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles. It provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject with easy-to-understand explanations and examples.

2. Which book is best for understanding the fundamentals of thermodynamics?

"Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, Howard N. Shapiro, Daisie D. Boettner, and Margaret B. Bailey is a highly recommended book for understanding the fundamentals of thermodynamics. It covers all the basic concepts and principles in depth.

3. Is there a good book on thermodynamics for self-study?

"Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns is a great book for self-study. It includes numerous practice problems and exercises to reinforce understanding and has a user-friendly writing style.

4. What is the best book for advanced topics in thermodynamics?

"Thermodynamics: An Advanced Textbook for Chemical Engineers" by Von Spakovsky and Nepomnyashchy is a comprehensive book covering advanced topics in thermodynamics. It is ideal for graduate-level courses and provides a thorough understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any recommended books on thermodynamics for engineers?

For engineers, "Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by John D. Anderson Jr. is a highly recommended book. It presents the subject from an engineering perspective and includes practical applications and real-world examples.