What Is a Soul?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, Simple question. Use your own definition. Simple answer.There is no such thing as a soul. It is a metaphor for consciousness. Insects have souls.

Do you believe there is a soul?

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
No, It's more of a psychological manifestation. No evidence to suggest "souls" exist.

I don't believe in a soul. It's just an abstract concept conjured up by people trying to explain things.

It's interesting to note that "soul" dates back to ancient Egypt, and possibly Sumeria. The concept had spread all over the world. It's a meme.

According to my own definition of the soul, sure. :smile:

I generally equate mind and soul so to some degree yes.

Of course there is a soul at least to the extent that each individual might place limitations in their interpretation.

Are there immortal souls or reincarnated souls or some other place for souls in the universe besides the confines of the planet - that becomes a matter of individual religious belief.

Are there self aware life essences that incorporate the more classical descriptive aspects of the soul like emotions, and urges and feelings mapped onto unique life experiences, then surely there are.

Perhaps the poll should more incisively ask are there immortal souls?

I voted yes. I define the soul as a living being minus its physical body. Without a soul, the body lies dead.

I will leave definition of the soul to the post/poster that inspired this thread, which I referenced in post 1.

But even with the most liberal definition possible (i.e. make up your own), the results aren't looking good for coberst's postulate.

jimmysnyder said:
I voted yes. I define the soul as a living being minus its physical body. Without a soul, the body lies dead.
So, insects have souls?

DaveC426913 said:
I will leave definition of the soul to the post/poster that inspired this thread, which I referenced in post 1.

But even with the most liberal definition possible (i.e. make up your own), the results aren't looking good for coberst's postulate.

I said no. There is simply no such thing. Its just a metaphor for consciousness.

Well, there is soul music for sure :-p But since it could not be qualified "unique", so there would not be a soul.

DaveC426913 said:
So, insects have souls?
Yes. Compare a living insect the instant before death to that same insect the instant after death. Subtract the identical body from both. The difference is the soul.

jimmysnyder said:
Yes. Compare a living insect the instant before death to that same insect the instant after death. Subtract the identical body from both. The difference is the soul.

What do we do with the remainder though?

jimmysnyder said:

So, if I understand you correctly:
Since it is quite common at the moment of expiry that the body loses control of secretive functions (just ask hospital personell!), excrements are parts of our soul?

Cyrus said:
What do we do with the remainder though?
I mean take the difference between the living (minus the body) and the dead (minus the identical body) insect.

arildno said:
So, if I understand you correctly:
Since it is quite common at the moment of expiry that the body loses control of secretive functions (just ask hospital personell!), excrements are parts of our soul?
Are you saying that it is part of your body? Anyway, the instant I had in mind is a bit more instantaneous than the one you are talking about.

jimmysnyder said:
I mean take the difference between the living (minus the body) and the dead (minus the identical body) insect.

Ah, yes. I was thinking of division of mind and body...wonk wonk wonkkkkk.

jimmysnyder said:
Are you saying that it is part of your body? .

Who else does the contents of the urethra and intestines belong to, then?

jimmysnyder said:
And it is made out of what? How much does it weigh? With what instrument can I observe it?

DaveC426913 said:
And it is made out of what? How much does it weigh? With what instrument can I observe it?

An L ron hubbard E-meter, obviously.

DaveC426913 said:
And it is made out of what? How much does it weigh?

28 grams, I think Victorian "scientists" established.

DaveC426913 said:
Do you believe in flame?

I like the Blues Brothers version

jimmysnyder said:
Do you believe in flame?
Yes. I can weigh it, and observe it.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. I can weigh it, and observe it.
You can observe the difference between a living being and a dead one too.

jimmysnyder said:

But that does not give any insight into a soul. I could say its the lack of oxygen in the blood.

jimmysnyder said:
Would you isolate and define that difference for me in terms more concrete than the absence of something else?

If I have a living thing, and it dies in my hands, and I throw away its lifeless body I am holding what's left. What am I (figuratively of course) holding in my hands?

Cyrus said:
But that does not give any insight into a soul. I could say its the lack of oxygen in the blood.
I wasn't asked to give any insight into a soul other than define it. Derive as much insight as you can. If you define the soul as the presence of oxygen in the blood, then do you believe in a soul?

jimmysnyder said:
I wasn't asked to give any insight into a soul other than define it.
But you haven't defined it.

jimmysnyder said:
I wasn't asked to give any insight into a soul other than define it.
But you haven't defined it.

See: "in terms more concrete than the absence of something else"

DaveC426913 said:
If I have a living thing, and it dies in my hands, and I throw away its lifeless body I am holding what's left. What am I (figuratively of course) holding in my hands?
You got it backwards. There is no way to get rid of the lifeless body, all you can do is move the mess. It is the soul that is thrown away.

jimmysnyder said:
I wasn't asked to give any insight into a soul other than define it. Derive as much insight as you can. If you define the soul as the presence of oxygen in the blood, then do you believe in a soul?

No, you misunderstood what I said. I mean lack of oxygen in the blood is the difference between someone alive or dead. Nothing to do with the concept of a soul.

Cyrus said:
No, you misunderstood what I said. I mean lack of oxygen in the blood is the difference between someone alive or dead. Nothing to do with the concept of a soul.
So plants are not alive?

jimmysnyder said:
You got it backwards. There is no way to get rid of the lifeless body, all you can do is move the mess. It is the soul that is thrown away.
Hang on a sec. I moved the mess (which is the living creature sans its soul), what is left behind?

You can't sidestep the question. If it exists as more than a concept, then I can measure it. Tell me how I can measure it.

As a wise man on another forum likes to say: I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?