What is ADT (Abstract Data Type)?

• Thread starter sadaf2605
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Type
In summary, ADT (Abstract Data Type) is an interface that contains methods for implementing data structures, and can hold a generic variable type. It is similar to abstract classes, but is used specifically for data structures.
sadaf2605
What is ADT: Abstract Data Type?
is it like Abstract Classes?

The more i am searching for it i am getting lost! So please help!

Thanks in an advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
sadaf2605 said:
What is ADT: Abstract Data Type?
is it like Abstract Classes?

The more i am searching for it i am getting lost! So please help!

Thanks in an advance!

Hey sadaf2605 and welcome to the forums.

Have you checked Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_data_type

An Abstract Data Type is usually an interface which holds methods for an implementation of a Data structure. There are different ADTs available to implement different data structures. ADTs usually hold <E>, Generic variable type, so the user may or may not specify the Data Type of the data structure that is being implemented from the ADT..

Related to What is ADT (Abstract Data Type)?

What is ADT (Abstract Data Type)?

ADT or Abstract Data Type is a theoretical concept used in computer science to describe a logical data structure or a set of values and operations that are defined independently of any specific programming language.

How is ADT different from a data structure?

ADT is an abstract concept that defines a set of values and operations, while a data structure is an implementation of this concept in a specific programming language. ADT is a high-level description, while data structures are low-level implementations.

What are some examples of ADTs?

Some commonly used ADTs include stacks, queues, lists, trees, graphs, and sets. These ADTs can be implemented using various data structures such as arrays, linked lists, and trees.

Why is ADT important in computer science?

ADTs provide a way to think about and describe data structures in a language-independent manner. They also help in abstracting away the implementation details, making it easier to design and analyze algorithms and data structures.

How is ADT related to object-oriented programming?

ADTs are often used in object-oriented programming as they provide a blueprint for creating objects and their associated data and operations. The data and operations defined in an ADT are encapsulated within the object, making it more secure and maintainable.