What is causing the comparison error in the string operator function in C++?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter smize
  • Start date
In summary, the program is attempting to compare a character from the input string to a string literal, causing an error. The solution is to compare the character to a character literal instead.
smize
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

void str2hex(string str) {

int strlen = str.length(); // Assign the length of input/str to strlen
string hex[strlen]; // Initialize the Array hex with the length of the string for (int x = 0; x < strlen; x++){ // Create a for loop assigning the values of the string to hex as hexadecimal values. if (str[x] == " "){

hex[x] = 20;

}

}

}

int main()
{

string input; // Declaring the string which will be converted into HEX
getline(cin,input); // Gets the user's input for the string
str2hex(input); // Inserts the user's input into the str2hex function

return 0;
}

In this program the issue is occurring on the line with if(str[x] == " ") {

the error I'm getting is: comparison with string literal results in unspecified behaviour
I can't figure out what is wrong. I am new to C++ so please don't scold me. Thank - you.

Technology news on Phys.org
Isn't str[x] a character? If so, you should compare it to a character ' ', not a string " ".

Thank you very much! Works perfectly! I'm such a novice -.-

FAQ: What is causing the comparison error in the string operator function in C++?

1. What is the purpose of the string operator[]?

The string operator[] is used to access individual characters within a string. It allows you to retrieve, modify, or assign a specific character in the string.

2. How is the string operator[] different from other string methods?

The string operator[] is different from other string methods because it directly accesses and modifies individual characters, whereas other methods may manipulate the entire string or a specific section of it.

3. Can the string operator[] be used on other data types?

No, the string operator[] is specific to strings and cannot be used on other data types. Other data types may have their own specific operators for accessing individual elements.

4. Can the string operator[] be used to add characters to a string?

No, the string operator[] cannot be used to add characters to a string. It can only access and modify existing characters within the string. To add characters, you can use other string methods such as concat() or the addition operator (+).

5. Are there any limitations to using the string operator[]?

Yes, the string operator[] can only be used to access characters within the string based on their position. It cannot be used to search for specific characters or patterns within the string.