What is condensed matter theory?

In summary: I would definitely recommend a course in many body theory if it is offered- this will give you a good understanding of the mathematics involved in many body physics. Stat-mech is also a good idea, especially if you want to learn about the mathematical methods used in physics.
capandbells
Could someone with some familiarity with condensed matter theory explain what exactly it involves? I'm not asking without having done research: I've looked at a lot of faculty pages at various universities looking for what people who call themselves condensed matter theorists do. So far I've gathered it consists of mostly stuff like semiconductors, superconductors, metals, superfluids, "materials," nanoscale structures, etc. What I'm looking for is for is a personal account from people who work in the area. What do you do? What kind of physics and mathematics do you make use of in your every day life? What kind of computational work do you do? Is it fun (:p)?

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my life and condensed matter sounds interesting, but I don't know all that much about it.

edit: Also, if I wanted to go into condensed matter, what would be some good electives to look into as an undergraduate (aside from obvious ones like solid state physics, semiconductor physics, advanced stat. mech)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's alright with the OP, maybe if someone has information on career info for what you can do with a Ph.D in condensed matter theory. Do these guys get hired at places like Bell Labs or IBM or something?

I'm an entering grad student, and I've done some undergrad research in CMT, so I don't know if this counts... still, FWIW

A major part of research in CMT involves what is known as strongly-correlated systems, which is sort of a blanket term used to describe several research areas such as High T_c superconductivity, non-Fermi liquids, heavy fermions, Mott insulators etc. There are several areas dealing with topological properties of matter, such as topological insulators, quantum hall effect, Luttinger liquids,...
A lot of stuff in the field of cold-atom physics (like BEC-BCS crossover, optical lattices etc.) is very close to cond-mat theory. CMT also involves a bit more "practical" stuff like band structure calculations, crystal geometry etc. Also, these days, lot of CMT people work in related topics like quantum computation, biophysics, soft condensed matter etc.

Depending on how abstract you want to go, CMT can involve quite a bit of math - algebra, topology, differential geometry, etc. along with a lot of quantum field theory and statistical mechanics. There's a group of people (most notably Subir Sachdev) who are trying to use techniques from string theory (particularly the Maldacena conjecture) to understand things like superconducting phase transitions.

If you want to study cond-mat theory, I would strongly recommend a many body physics course if it is offered in your university (luckily, at my school, they taught many body theory in quantum III). Also, do as much stat-mech as you can, possibly some advanced stuff such as renormalization, critical phenomena, fluctuation-dissipation etc.

Sorry for the long post, I'm also interested in hearing others' opinions on this. I too found this topic to be very interesting and I will (most probably) be doing that in grad school.

"Condensed Matter" is a very broad field- what the OP mentions is what I call 'traditional' solid state- lots of standard texts and courses.

There is an increasing amount of research into 'soft matter'- this covers another huge area of research, uses some of the same methods as 'solid state physics', but also new tools- Chaikin and Lubensky's book is an excellent place to start.

Condensed matter theory is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of materials in their condensed state, such as solids and liquids. This field combines principles from quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism to understand the behavior of these materials at the atomic and molecular level.

As a condensed matter theorist, my daily work involves using mathematical equations and computational tools to model and predict the behavior of materials under different conditions. This includes studying the electronic, magnetic, and thermal properties of materials, as well as their response to external forces like temperature, pressure, and electric fields.

One of the most exciting aspects of condensed matter theory is that it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, where quantum effects become important. This is crucial for developing new technologies such as nanoelectronics and nanomedicine.

In my everyday life, I use a combination of programming languages, such as Python and MATLAB, and mathematical techniques like differential equations and linear algebra to analyze and interpret data from experiments and simulations. It is a challenging and rewarding field that requires a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as a curious and creative mind.

As for electives to take as an undergraduate, I would recommend courses in solid state physics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics as a strong foundation. Courses in materials science, nanotechnology, and computational physics would also be beneficial. Additionally, developing programming skills and taking courses in computer science would be useful for the computational work involved in condensed matter theory.

Overall, condensed matter theory is a fascinating field that offers a deep understanding of the physical world and has many practical applications. I would encourage you to explore it further and see if it is the right fit for you.

FAQ: What is condensed matter theory?

1. What is condensed matter theory?

Condensed matter theory is a branch of physics that studies the macroscopic behavior of matter in its condensed states, such as solids and liquids. It aims to understand and predict the properties and behavior of these materials using theoretical models and mathematical techniques.

2. How is condensed matter theory different from other branches of physics?

Condensed matter theory focuses specifically on the behavior of matter in its condensed states, while other branches of physics may study a broader range of phenomena. It also relies heavily on theoretical and computational methods rather than experimental techniques.

3. What are some examples of condensed matter systems?

Some examples of condensed matter systems include crystals, metals, semiconductors, polymers, and liquid crystals. These materials can exhibit a wide range of properties, such as electrical conductivity, magnetic behavior, and phase transitions, which are of interest to condensed matter theorists.

4. How is condensed matter theory important in practical applications?

Condensed matter theory plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials for various technological applications. For example, it can help predict the properties of new materials before they are synthesized, guide the design of electronic devices, and contribute to the development of renewable energy sources.

5. What are some current research areas in condensed matter theory?

Some current research areas in condensed matter theory include topological states of matter, quantum materials, and non-equilibrium phenomena. Condensed matter theorists are also studying the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as high pressures and temperatures, as well as interactions between quantum systems.