What is Eikonalization in High Energy Hadronic Interaction Models?

• A
  • Thread starter Tomishiyo
  • Start date
In summary: According to the article, the term "eikonalization" is used to refer to a particular unitarization of an operator. This is different from de facto unitarization, which is the more common and trivial way of achieving unitarity. The article goes on to say that the concept may be applicable to something like the inclusive cross section of jet productions in the high energy hadronic interaction models.I'm doing some reading about high energy hadronic interaction models, and now and there some papers mention the term "eikonalization". Yet, I could not find any definition about it anywhere, except a vague one that states it is a kind of unitarization of an operator (yet I cannot understand how is it different
Tomishiyo
I'm doing some reading about high energy hadronic interaction models, and now and there some papers mention the term "eikonalization". Yet, I could not find any definition about it anywhere, except a vague one that states it is a kind of unitarization of an operator (yet I cannot understand how is it different from a de facto unitarization or how could the concept apply for something as the inclusive cross section of jet productions in the above mentioned hadronic interaction models).

Could anyone explain me the meaning of term or point me up to a paper where I can read more about it? Thanks!

Sadly no, this is all information I could get. Thanks by the courtesy, even it being automated.

Unfortunately I'm also not familiar with this. Do you have an example for a paper/book where "eikonalization" is used in this context?

The only way I remember seeing the term was as the "Eikonal approximation". Wikipedia gives a good explanation of the "Eikonal approximation" if you google it.

Tomishiyo said:
I'm doing some reading about high energy hadronic interaction models, and now and there some papers mention the term "eikonalization". Yet, I could not find any definition about it anywhere, except a vague one that states it is a kind of unitarization of an operator (yet I cannot understand how is it different from a de facto unitarization or how could the concept apply for something as the inclusive cross section of jet productions in the above mentioned hadronic interaction models).

Could anyone explain me the meaning of term or point me up to a paper where I can read more about it? Thanks!
I think that the following article could be useful to you. Unfortunately, I have only a hard copy, I don't know if it is available for free on the web. You can see the first page for free here:
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1002/prop.19740221002

The eikonolization I am familiar with is also referred to the relativistic eikonal approximation. The following article may be useful

Validity of the Relativistic Eikonal Approximation
George Tiktopoulos and S. B. Treiman
Phys. Rev. D 2, 805 – Published 15 August 1970I

I have come across the term 'eikonal survival factor' in the context of exclusive measurements. It is a factor that accounts for the fact we don't want extraneous interactions between spectator partons that would otherwise populate rapidity gaps used to select exclusive events. I am not sure of the context you are working, however.

mfb said:
Maybe one of our local QFT experts can help. I'm sure I forgot some, but that should be a good start (they get a message that they were mentioned here): @vanhees71, @Orodruin, @Vanadium 50, @Charles Link, @nrqed, @samalkhaiat, @ohwilleke, @ShayanJ
It really feels good to be on that list and I wish I could be, but I'm not a local QFT expert. I'm gradually learning it as I progress in my master's thesis.

Thank you all by the responses, specially thanks to @mfb for the mentions and @nrqed for the reading recommendations.

I've seen the term in the context of hadronic high energy interaction models, specifficaly, I was reading about the Sybill model. The paper in question is authored by Sergey Ostapchenko, here is the DOI of the article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/201612004003

Related to What is Eikonalization in High Energy Hadronic Interaction Models?

1. What is eikonalization?

Eikonalization is a scientific concept that refers to the process of transforming a physical system into an eikonal form, where the system's behavior is described in terms of wave propagation and amplitude.

2. How is eikonalization used in scientific research?

Eikonalization is commonly used in fields such as optics, seismology, and quantum mechanics to model and study the behavior of wave phenomena. It allows scientists to simplify complex systems and make predictions about wave propagation and interference.

3. What is the significance of eikonalization in understanding wave behavior?

Eikonalization provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing wave phenomena. By reducing a system to its eikonal form, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental principles that govern wave behavior and make predictions about the behavior of complex systems.

4. How does eikonalization differ from traditional methods of analysis?

Traditional methods of analysis often involve complex mathematical equations and models, which can be difficult to solve and interpret. Eikonalization, on the other hand, uses simplified equations that describe the behavior of waves, making it easier to study and understand complex systems.

5. Can eikonalization be applied to other scientific fields?

Yes, eikonalization can be applied to a wide range of scientific fields beyond optics, seismology, and quantum mechanics. It has been used in fields such as fluid dynamics, acoustics, and even in the study of biological systems, showing its versatility and potential for further research and applications.