What is Field Theory and How Can I Build a Strong Foundation in the Subject?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Field Theory and the difficulty of understanding it through the use of Landau's book. The individual is seeking recommendations for an introductory level book to gain a better understanding and use as a foundation for deeper insight into the subject. Two books are suggested, one for electrodynamics and the other for the detailed derivation of Action and important tensors. The individual expresses gratitude for the suggestions and asks for any other recommendations.
mixo1234
Hello.

In my university the course of the Field theory was based on Landau's book, which of course, is a quiet rough book to introduce a subject with - so all I was left with was superficial knowledge of the branch. I would like to read another book (introductory level is preferred) about the subject to gain much stronger basic knowledge about the Field theory and then to use it as a foundation to re-read Landau's book to get a deeper insight in the theory. The book which contains very detailed derivation of Action, important tensors and etc. is just perfect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much! Seems to be a nice book. Any other suggestions?

Related to What is Field Theory and How Can I Build a Strong Foundation in the Subject?

1. What is field theory?

Field theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of physical fields, which are regions of space that have a measurable quantity at every point, such as gravitational or electric fields.

2. What are the main principles of field theory?

The main principles of field theory include the concept of fields as continuous quantities, the idea of field interactions and their effects on particles, and the use of mathematical equations to describe the behavior of fields.

3. What are some practical applications of field theory?

Field theory has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of astrophysics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. Some practical applications include the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

4. How does field theory differ from other branches of physics?

Field theory differs from other branches of physics in its focus on the behavior of fields rather than individual particles. It also incorporates principles from both classical and quantum mechanics, making it a more comprehensive and complex field of study.

5. What are some current areas of research in field theory?

Current areas of research in field theory include the search for a unified theory that combines all fundamental forces, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of new mathematical models and techniques for understanding and describing fields.