What is forward-backward assymetry, charge assymetry?

• Thread starter kristobal hunta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of "forward-backward assymetry" and "charge assymetry" in relation to the search for the Odderon in particle physics. The speaker is seeking clarification on the definitions and importance of these terms in understanding Z0 decays and potential parity nonconservation.
kristobal hunta
Hello!

I am studying particle physics. While reading the papers I realized that many authors of papers regarding the search for Odderon refer to "forward-backward assymetry", "charge assymetry". However, all my attepms to find a good description and definition of mentioned assymetries failed without a hint of success. Intuitively I understand that it should be a kind of "angle distribution" (for different charges it would be different probably?).

If you have learned anything about the assymetries could you please explain them to me.
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kristobal hunta said:
Hello!

I am studying particle physics. While reading the papers I realized that many authors of papers regarding the search for Odderon refer to "forward-backward assymetry", "charge assymetry". However, all my attepms to find a good description and definition of mentioned assymetries failed without a hint of success. Intuitively I understand that it should be a kind of "angle distribution" (for different charges it would be different probably?).

If you have learned anything about the assymetries could you please explain them to me.
Thank you :)
"forward-backward assymetry" can be with respect to a beam dilrection or the flight direction of a decaying particle. F-B symmetry would be when
there is no difference between event in the forward hemisphere than the backward hemisphere. Asymmetry is when there is a difference.

"charge assymetry" can have several meanings.
In nuclear physics, charge symmetry meant that there is no difference between n-n interactions and p-p interactions.
I don't think that's waht you mean now.
In your context, it probably refers to more + particles than - particles from a neutral decay (or vv).

The point is, why is forward/backward assymmetry important in Z0 decays?

It would probably indicate parity nonconservaton.

Related to What is forward-backward assymetry, charge assymetry?

What is forward-backward asymmetry?

Forward-backward asymmetry refers to the unequal distribution of particles traveling in the forward and backward directions in a collision or interaction. It is often used in the context of high-energy particle physics experiments.

What is charge asymmetry?

Charge asymmetry is the difference in the number of positively and negatively charged particles in a system. In particle physics, it is often measured in high-energy collisions to understand the nature of matter and its interactions.

How is forward-backward asymmetry measured in particle physics experiments?

Forward-backward asymmetry is typically measured by observing the angles at which particles are produced in a collision. By measuring the distribution of particles in the forward and backward directions, scientists can determine the degree of asymmetry.

Why is studying forward-backward asymmetry important in particle physics?

Studying forward-backward asymmetry can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles. It can also help scientists better understand the nature of matter and the origins of the universe.

What are some potential applications of understanding charge asymmetry?

Understanding charge asymmetry can have practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging. It can also contribute to advancements in technology and materials science.