What is going on in this interaction?

In summary, the conversation is about a picture of some interaction that the speaker wants to explain using the standard model. They do not know where or when they found the picture and are hoping someone can provide more information about it. The suggested interaction involves a neutron becoming invisible and a kaon later decaying into two pions. The speaker asks for input on whether their suggestion is reasonable and for any other possible explanations for the interaction. They also attach the picture and provide additional information about the beam and target. Cookiemonster responds and suggests that the interaction could be related to the non-conservation of parity.
suyver
Hi!

I have a beautiful picture of some interaction that I want to explain with the standard model. I think it's probably a famous one, but I have no idea where & when I found it. If anybody recognises this data, then I'd be very happy to hear what it is...

For now, I am guessing something like:

[tex]\nu_\mu+p\rightarrow e^++e^-+\mu^-+n+K^0[/tex]

The neutron will be invisible and the kaon later decays into

[tex]K^0\rightarrow\pi^++\pi^-[/tex]

What do you think, is this reasonable?

Any other suggestions as to what may be going on here will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: Nevermind, click and drag, click and drag...

cookiemonster

Last edited:
How about now?

Works fine. Don't even have to click and drag.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Standard Model, much less its experiments. I just like looking at pretty pictures. Sorry!

cookiemonster

Here is the same picture, but now attached to the forum.

Additional info: the beam (I guess neutrino's?) comes from the left and I guess that it hits a stationary target.

Attachments

• tg.jpg
    tg.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 443
Well the interaction could be part of the one that showed non-conservation of parity. Your kaon decays into two pions, but there are other decays that go into three particles, something that couldn't happen if parity were conserved.

FAQ: What is going on in this interaction?

What is going on in this interaction?

1. What is the purpose of this interaction?

The purpose of this interaction is to understand the dynamics and behaviors of the systems involved in order to make predictions and draw conclusions.

2. How are the different elements or variables interacting with each other?

The different elements or variables are interacting through various physical, chemical, or biological processes, depending on the nature of the interaction.

3. What are the potential outcomes of this interaction?

The potential outcomes of this interaction can range from a stable equilibrium to a complete breakdown, depending on the strength and direction of the forces involved.

4. How can we measure or observe this interaction?

This interaction can be measured or observed through various methods such as experiments, simulations, or observations using specialized equipment or techniques.

5. How does this interaction contribute to our understanding of the natural world?

This interaction contributes to our understanding of the natural world by providing insights into the fundamental principles and mechanisms governing the behavior of physical, chemical, and biological systems.