What Is Graviton? Understanding Gravity & Matter

• Thread starter kevinsetiono
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graviton
In summary, the article explains that a graviton is a theoretical particle that serves as the carrier of the force of gravity between two particles. This concept is similar to how photons act as carriers of the electromagnetic force. Gravitons are considered virtual particles and are associated with gravitational waves in quantum mechanics.
kevinsetiono
i read an article about graviton. but i still don't understand what graviton is. I think gravity is force not matter .

Physics news on Phys.org
This article explains what a graviton is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton
Was it the one you read?

Put simply, in theories like Quantum Field Theory, it is very easy and convenient to model the force between two particles as an interaction between them in which they exchange a "carrier" particle. For example, two electrons would exchange photons when they interact by the electromagnetic force. For gravity, this carrier particle would be the graviton. Note that these carrier particles are "virtual particles", not real particles. The concept of a virtual particle is a complicated one, and can be very confusing if you've never looked into it before. I would recommend using the search feature to look for more threads on virtual particles here on PF.

In quantum mechanics all waves have particles associated with them. So, electromagnetic waves have photons, sound waves have phonons and gravity waves have gravitons.

FAQ: What Is Graviton? Understanding Gravity & Matter

1. What is a graviton?

A graviton is a hypothetical particle that is believed to be the carrier of the force of gravity. It is predicted by some theories of quantum gravity, but has not yet been observed or confirmed.

2. How does a graviton interact with matter?

According to the theory, a graviton interacts with matter by exchanging energy with other particles. This exchange is what creates the force of gravity between objects.

3. How does the existence of a graviton explain gravity?

The existence of a graviton is one possible explanation for the force of gravity. The theory suggests that gravity is a result of the exchange of gravitons between objects, similar to how other forces (such as electromagnetism) are explained by the exchange of particles.

4. Can gravitons be detected or measured?

Currently, gravitons have not been detected or measured directly. However, scientists are working on experiments and technologies that may be able to detect them in the future.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain gravity besides the graviton?

Yes, there are other theories that attempt to explain gravity, such as Einstein's general theory of relativity. Some scientists also propose that gravity may be a result of the curvature of space-time rather than the exchange of particles.