What is HIGHSET differential protection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of high-set relays, which are used for radial feeder protection. It is mentioned that high-set is not a feature of a relay, but rather a method of setting relays at progressively higher pickup current values. The purpose and relevance of high-set in relation to differential protection of transformers is questioned.
I_am_learning
I know biased differential protection system. But one differential relay I have at work here has a feature called "Differential instantaneous highset overcurrent protection". Does anyone knows anything about it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks Simon.
it appears high-set relays are used for radial feeder protection. I don't see what it has got to do with differential protection of transformer.

Neither do I - but people will call things by whatever name they think will sell.
You should have a good idea what high-set" means now though.

High set just isn't a feature provided by a relay, it is just a method of setting relays. (Relays at the near ends are progressively set at higher pickup current value)
So how can relays talk of having and not having high-set protection?
I don't think I fully understand high-set yet.

Related to What is HIGHSET differential protection?

1. What is HIGHSET differential protection?

HIGHSET (High Impedance Differential Protection) is a type of protection used in electrical systems to detect and isolate faults or abnormalities in the system. It works by measuring the difference in current between two points in the system and triggering an alarm or disconnection if a fault is detected.

2. How does HIGHSET differential protection work?

HIGHSET protection works by using current transformers to measure the current at both ends of a protected circuit. The currents are then compared and any difference is considered a fault. If a fault is detected, the protection system will trip the circuit breaker and isolate the fault from the rest of the system.

3. What are the advantages of HIGHSET differential protection?

HIGHSET protection offers a number of advantages over other types of protection. It is fast and sensitive, able to detect faults quickly and accurately. It is also reliable and can be easily integrated into existing protection systems. Additionally, HIGHSET protection is able to detect both internal and external faults, providing comprehensive protection for the system.

4. What types of systems use HIGHSET differential protection?

HIGHSET protection is commonly used in high voltage systems, such as transmission and distribution networks, as well as in large industrial and commercial facilities. It is also used in power generation and renewable energy systems to protect against faults and ensure system stability.

5. How is HIGHSET differential protection different from other types of differential protection?

There are several different types of differential protection, including low impedance, solidly grounded, and high impedance. HIGHSET protection is unique in that it uses high impedance, or high resistance, to detect faults. This allows for faster and more sensitive detection, making it well-suited for high voltage systems. It also offers better selectivity, meaning it can isolate faults more accurately and prevent unnecessary tripping of healthy parts of the system.