What is "identical to" operator?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: For example, when I say f(x)=x^2, I am specifying a domain for the function. Likewise, when I say $f(x)=0$, I am specifying a domain and telling you that $f$ evaluates to zero at every point within that domain.
find_the_fun
What does mean "identically equal to" in the context of differential equations? In class the prof wrote \(\displaystyle \mu_x \equiv 0\). I asked what it meant and he said "it means identical to". Can someone elaborate, for example what purpose does it surve? If it just means a function always has that value, why not use the regular equal sign (=)? For example, isn't it perfectly valid to write \(\displaystyle f(x)=5\)?

And out of curisousity, we were told \(\displaystyle \mu_x\) is Newton's way of writing partial derivatives, is that correct or did someone else come up with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A function $f$ is said to be "identically 0", notationally $f\equiv 0$
or $f(x) \equiv 0$ when the function evaluates to $0$ over the domain. If you write $f(x) = 0$, you will need to add another qualifier, e.g. for all $x \in D$ to mean the same thing. Otherwise, $f(x) = 0$ just tells me that $f$ evaluates to $0$ at $x$ but there may be some $x' \neq x$ where $f(x') \neq 0$.

But isn't x variable meaning its value can vary to anything, so how can two variables be different? I'm serious, I was never properly taught the difference between a variable and a constant. I could understand f(A) not equal f(B) where A not equal B if A and B are constants, but if x and x' are variables then I don't see how it's true f(x) not equal f(x')

Variables need not vary to the same values. Two variables $x,y$ can take on different value. If $f: x \mapsto x^3$, clearly, if $x \neq y$, $f(x) \neq f(y)$.

Ok well there's still some things I don't get. You say if you use = instead of \(\displaystyle \equiv\) then you have to specify the domain. For example \(\displaystyle f(x) = 1\) for all x in domain. But why don't you have to do this in other cases? For example just saying \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2\) is unambigious, a reader wouldn't assume the writer forgot to add anoter case. But by your argument one could say there is x' such that \(\displaystyle f(x') \neq x'^2\)

Also would it be wrong to write \(\displaystyle f(x)=0x\) instead of using \(\displaystyle \equiv\)?

magneto said:
A function $f$ is said to be "identically 0", notationally $f\equiv 0$
or $f(x) \equiv 0$ when the function evaluates to $0$ over the domain. If you write $f(x) = 0$, you will need to add another qualifier, e.g. for all $x \in D$ to mean the same thing. Otherwise, $f(x) = 0$ just tells me that $f$ evaluates to $0$ at $x$ but there may be some $x' \neq x$ where $f(x') \neq 0$.
Can't you say the same thing about other functions? If someone says \(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2\) couldn't you say that's ambigious as for \(\displaystyle x'\) f may not be \(\displaystyle x^2\)? What's so special about a constant?

When one says $f(x) = x^2$, it is not ambiguous on what the function does -- as the exact mapping is provided, it is ambiguous on the domain of the function. If I am to ask you is $f: x \mapsto x^2$ is invertible, you cannot give me a yes or no answer without assuming the domain or specifying one.

Imagine the writing, "If polynomial $p$ has such and such properties, then $p(x) = 0$". What exactly does it mean? Do they mean there is some $x$ such that $p(x) = 0$ but not others? or do they mean all $p(x) = 0$ for all $x$, in which case, we can simply say $p$ is identically 0, or $p \equiv 0$.

The importance of this is not the notational difference between $=$ vs. $\equiv$. While there are convention, and you may disagree with said convention, the importance is that when you utilize variables, they should be qualified in some ways.

FAQ: What is "identical to" operator?

1. What is the "identical to" operator?

The "identical to" operator is a comparison operator used in programming languages to compare two values or expressions. It checks if the values are not only equal in value, but also in data type.

2. How is the "identical to" operator different from the "equal to" operator?

The "identical to" operator (===) checks for both value and data type, while the "equal to" operator (==) only checks for value. This means that the "identical to" operator is more strict and will return false if the data types are different, even if the values are the same.

3. When should I use the "identical to" operator?

The "identical to" operator should be used when you want to make sure that the values being compared are not only equal, but also of the same data type. This can be useful in situations where data type is important, such as when working with strings or numbers.

4. What happens if I use the "identical to" operator on different data types?

If the "identical to" operator is used to compare different data types, it will always return false. This is because the data types are not the same, so the values cannot be identical.

5. Can the "identical to" operator be used in all programming languages?

Most programming languages have an "identical to" operator, but the syntax may vary. Some languages use the === operator, while others may use a different symbol or keyword. It is important to check the documentation for the specific language you are using to see how the "identical to" operator is implemented.