What is known about this type of group?

• Thread starter Someone2841
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Type
In summary, the group S forms a group under the operation of composing functions, but it is not isomorphic to any subgroup of G.
Someone2841
Hello. I have been looking into group theory for its applications to subject I am studying. I am not a mathematician by profession or training, but I find it has great use to any analytical pursuit. With that said, I have outlined below type of group that I would like to know more about. For example: what other groups are like it?, is there anything strange about the way I've defined this group?, what would help in my understanding of this group and groups like it?, etc. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------------------------------------

Let ##C## be the cyclic ring of integers mod 12. Please note that arithmetic with elements of ##C## and its subsets will be assumed to be mod 12 unless otherwise indicated. Define the set ##M_{k \in C}## as
##\{x : n \in \mathbb{Z}, k-1 \leq n \leq k+5, x \equiv 7n\}##​

For example, ##M_0 = \{0,2,4,5,7,9,11\}##. These subsets ##M_k## clearly do not form subgroups of ##C##; however, a group structure can be imposed on them. Define the action ##S_k## on ##M_k## as

##S_k:M_k×M_k,m≡7(x+k−1)↦7((x+_7 1)+k−1)##**​

Where ##+_7## is addition mod 7. For example, ##S_0## would map 4 onto 11 since ##x=3## in the equation ##4 \equiv 7(x + k - 1)## and ##7((x +_7 1) + k - 1) \equiv 11##. Two iterations of the action (i.e., ##S^2_k##) would then map each element to the next element (e.g., ##9 \mapsto 11, 11 \mapsto 0, 0 \mapsto 2,## etc. in ##M_0##).

The set ##\{S^n_k\}_{n \in Z, 0 \leq n \leq 6}## forms a cyclic action group (with ##S_k## as the group generator) on ##M_k##. The identity action is ##S^0_k \doteq S^7_k## and the inverse action is ##S^{-n \mod{7}}_k##.

-------

**Edited from x-k+1 to x+k-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
May I ask what ##11## gets mapped to under ##S_0##?

micromass said:
May I ask what ##11## gets mapped to under ##S_0##?

I made a mistake. ##S_k## should be defined as

##S_k:M_k×M_k,m≡7(x+k-1)↦7((x+_7 1)+k-1)##​

in order to deal with the very case of ##S_0(11)##. In the equation ##11 \equiv 7(x + k - 1)##, ##x = 6## and so ##7((x+_7 1)+k-1) \equiv 5##. With this correction, ##11## gets mapped to ##5## under ##S_0##. Sorry for the mistake!

Someone2841 said:
is there anything strange about the way I've defined this group?,

Define the action ##S_k## on ##M_k## as

The only context that I'm familiar with for "actions" on sets is that there is a definition for a group action on a set. (Google tells me that there is also definition of a ring action - and a neat definition of a module: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/100565/why-are-ring-actions-much-harder-to-find-than-group-actions. ) To define a group action, you'd normally start with the group and show how it acts on a set. I think what you should do is define the "functions" [itex] S_k [/itex] and prove the set of functions forms a group. The abstract group that it forms then has the "group action" on the set specified by the functions.

I don't know what part of your result depends only on having a ring-with-identity, a commutative ring with identity, or a field. You might think about whether a similar construction works when applied to mod 6 arithmetic.

An abstract and uspecific way to ask questions about your example is:

We have a finite group (or a ring) G. G acts on its own elements. As a group of functions, G may not contain enough functions to implement all possible permutations of those elements. Suppose we have a proper subset M of the elements of G and we define a set S of mappings of M onto itself. "in terms of" the operations of G. Further suppose that this set of functions S forms a group under the operation of composing functions. Must the group S be isomorphic to some subgroup (or subring) of G ? (i.e. can we implement the functions in the group S by functions that define the action of G on its elements?) Or is it possible to do something "fundamentally new" by creating an S in such a manner.

I'd guess such questions have been investigated, but I don't know good keywords for searching for results.

Last edited:

Hello, thank you for your interest in group theory and its applications. From what I can gather, this type of group is a cyclic action group on the set ##M_k##, where ##M_k## is a subset of the cyclic ring of integers mod 12. This type of group is defined by the action ##S_k##, which maps elements of ##M_k## to other elements within the subset using addition mod 7. The set ##\{S^n_k\}_{n \in Z, 0 \leq n \leq 6}## forms a cyclic action group, with ##S_k## as the group generator. It seems that this type of group has a specific structure and properties, and I am not aware of any other groups that are exactly like it. However, it may be helpful to explore other cyclic action groups and their properties to gain a better understanding of this group and how it relates to others. It may also be useful to further investigate the inverse and identity actions within this group to see how they affect the elements of ##M_k##. I hope this helps in your understanding of this type of group and its potential applications.

Related to What is known about this type of group?

What is known about the structure of this type of group?

The structure of a group can vary depending on its purpose and goals. However, most groups have a leader or a designated person in charge, and members that work together to achieve a common goal. The group may also have specific roles and responsibilities assigned to each member.

What are the benefits of being a part of this type of group?

Being a part of a group can have numerous benefits, such as increased support and motivation, diverse perspectives and ideas, and opportunities for collaboration and learning. It can also provide a sense of belonging and community.

What challenges can arise within this type of group?

Some common challenges that can arise within a group include conflicts among members, communication issues, lack of cohesion, and difficulty in decision-making. These challenges can be managed through effective communication, clear roles and expectations, and conflict resolution strategies.

How can a group effectively work towards their goals?

To effectively work towards their goals, a group should have a clear understanding of their objectives and create a plan with actionable steps. The group should also communicate regularly, delegate tasks, and hold each other accountable. Flexibility and adaptability are also crucial in achieving group goals.

What are some examples of successful groups of this type?

Some examples of successful groups of this type include research teams, community organizations, and project teams. These groups have a clear purpose, effective communication and collaboration, and a strong commitment to achieving their goals.