What is meant by ``Renormalon ?

• Thread starter arroy_0205
  • Start date
In summary, renormalon is a name for something we don't really know. It's a thing that pops up when playing the kind of hefty mathematical games that are necessary in HEP. It's associated with various singularities in the Borel transform.
arroy_0205
What is meant by ``Renormalon"?

Can anybody explain what is meant by ``Renormalon"? What is its significance?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, the OP actually meant renormalon. As with many things, we name them way before we understand them --- it makes discussions easier to focus. As with all things theoretical HEP related, the first call of reference is in Peskin and Schroeder. That has a brief intro. Otherwise, it's best to rely on Google --- the first couple of results, including the review paper on Arxiv are good resources.

However, if the OP isn't a practising theoretical particle physicist, then I would advise simply forgetting about it. Like I said, it's a name for something we don't really know. It's a thing that pops up when playing the kind of hefty mathematical games that are necessary in HEP.

Thanks, genneth. Regarding your comment about my identity, I am trying to understand qft and intend to become a theoretical particle physicist. I will look it up from peskin and schroeder.

also the book "Heavy Quark Physics" by Manohar and Wise has a very nice section on it. It's also an excellent book for learning effective field theory in general. One step higher than Peskin-Schroeder.

There are two types of renormalons. Infrared and Ultraviolet.

Typically they are associated with various singularities in the Borel transform to improve the convergence of some divergent series.

In QCD, the singularities known as qcd renormalons are those that arise from terms in the Operator product expansion and act to obstruct us from resumming the series. The IR renormalon goes with specific N loop feynmann diagrams whose contribution grows factorially.

It gets pretty technical, not recommended for beginners!

Related to What is meant by ``Renormalon ?

What is meant by "Renormalon"?

Renormalon is a term used in theoretical physics to describe a type of mathematical singularity that arises in calculations of the behavior of quantum field theories.

How does a renormalon arise in quantum field theory calculations?

A renormalon arises when there is an infinite number of terms in a perturbative expansion that contribute to the calculation. This can occur when there is an asymptotic behavior in the theory, leading to divergences in the calculation.

What is the significance of renormalons in theoretical physics?

Renormalons can provide insights into the behavior of quantum field theories, particularly in the context of non-perturbative effects. They can also lead to a better understanding of the underlying mathematical structure of these theories.

Can renormalons be observed experimentally?

No, renormalons are purely mathematical constructs and cannot be observed directly. However, their effects can be seen in the behavior of physical quantities calculated using quantum field theory.

How do scientists deal with renormalons in their calculations?

Scientists use various techniques, such as resummation, to deal with renormalons and obtain meaningful results from their calculations. They also continue to study the underlying mathematical structure of quantum field theories to better understand and potentially eliminate renormalon singularities.