What is Oz and the Emerging Quantum Gravity Research in Australia?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, Florian Girelli is a good quantum gravity researcher currently at the University of Sydney in Australia. He is connected with other researchers in Australia interested in quantum gravity and they seem to have funding from the Australian establishment. The triennial GR conference was hosted by U Sydney in 2007 and had notable speakers in the QG department. U Sydney's hosting of the conference shows their desire to establish themselves in the field of quantum gravity. They currently have a postdoctoral position available and have several researchers working on QG, including Dean Rickles who has received funding to write a book on the history of QG. This trend bodes well for the growth of quantum gravity research in Australia.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Florian Girelli is a good QG researcher. He is now at U Sydney in Australia and he seems to be in touch with other Oz people interested in QG. And somehow they seem to have money, as if the Oz establishment wants to get some QG going there.

The triennial GR conference was at U Sydney in 2007 and they got Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel as invited speakers. The sponsoring organisation GRG (general rel and gravitation) is strong in the QG department. I think U Sydney hosting the big GRG conference means they want to be on the map. Maybe build up their program.
I know this is vague, but it's a staw in the wind. Kind of interesting. I got this public circular announcement today.
========
I would like to let you know that the School of Physics at the University of
Sydney has one opening for a 3 years postdoc position, starting in January

It would be great if you could forward this information to the potential
candidates.

Information on the position can be found at
http://www.usyd.edu.au/research/fellowships/postdoctoral_research.shtml
(The applicant should have a "PhD award dated no earlier than 1 January 2004
and not later than 31 December 2008")
Interested candidates should first contact F. Girelli
girelli@physics.usyd.edu.au and S. Bartlett bartlett@physics.usyd.edu.au People interested in quantum gravity in USyd are F. Girelli (quantum gravity
and non-commutative geometry), S Bartlett (quantum relational observables
and quantum information), H. Westman (foundations of quantum mechanics,
general relativity). At the Macquarie University (also in Sydney) there is
D. Terno (working on black holes in QG and quantum information).

==endquote==

Danny Terno was at Perimeter and before that Haifa. His advisor at Haifa was Asher Peres. He's coauthored with Etera Livine. Cool. Hans Westman has been at foundations conferences at Perimeter giving keynote addresses and such. There are eight video lectures by him on Perimeter's pirsa.org.
http://pirsa.org/index.php?p=speaker&name=Hans_Westman
But mainly to gauge how strong the QG startup is down under one could just look at Girelli publications:
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Girelli/0/1/0/all/0/1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also at USyd there is Dean Rickles in the Unit for the History and Philosophy of Science, who has worked on a few papers and books on QG. He's got a grant from the ARC (Australian Research Council) to write a book on the history of QG, the summary for which includes:
"This research will greatly enhance Australia's position in this breakthrough science."

I'm in my first year of a BSc at Sydney with a particular interest in QG, so I can only hope this trend continues.

Marcus, what is Oz?

Related to What is Oz and the Emerging Quantum Gravity Research in Australia?

1. What is QG getting a start in Oz?

QG getting a start in Oz is a program designed to help young scientists in Australia kickstart their careers in the field of quantum gravity (QG). It provides resources, mentorship, and networking opportunities for those interested in pursuing research in this field.

2. Who is eligible for QG getting a start in Oz?

This program is open to all young scientists in Australia who have a keen interest in quantum gravity. This includes undergraduate and graduate students, as well as early career researchers.

3. How can I apply for QG getting a start in Oz?

To apply for this program, you will need to submit an application form and provide a statement of purpose outlining your interest in QG and how this program will benefit your career. You may also be required to submit academic transcripts and letters of recommendation.

4. What kind of support does QG getting a start in Oz provide?

QG getting a start in Oz offers various forms of support, including access to research materials and resources, mentorship from established scientists in the field, and networking opportunities with other young researchers and industry professionals.

5. Are there any costs associated with QG getting a start in Oz?

No, this program is completely free for all participants. However, if you are selected for any events or conferences organized by QG getting a start in Oz, you may need to cover your own travel and accommodation expenses.