What is P(B) given conditional probabilities and the complement of A?

• Thread starter buddingscientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation covers various mathematical problems and their solutions, including calculating probabilities, finding the moment generating function, and determining the complement of a given set. The expert summarizer explains the steps to solve each problem and clarifies any confusion.
buddingscientist
Well the first and last I'm having some troubles with, and 2-4 I think the logic I am using is correct but would like his verified since no answers were provided

What is [itex]P(A \cup B)[/itex] if [itex] P(A) = 0.2, P(A \cap B) = 0.1, P(B) = 0.5?[/itex]

Would that just be the prob. of being in A or B minus prob of being in both (prob of being in A + prob being in B - A int B). Would it depend on whether they are mutually exclusive or not? (how can we tell if that's all tahts given in the question).
I am kind of half between (A + B) and half between (A + B - AintB). But since A int B was included in the question, would that imply that I should use A + B - A int B = 0.2 + 0.5 - 0.1 = 0.6

---
What is E(X) if Mx(u) = [itex](1-u)^{-3}, u<1[/itex]

To find E(X) find the first derivative:
= -3(1-u)^(-4).-1
= 3(1-u)^(-4)
and then let u -> 0
3(1)^(-4)
=3

Therefor E(X) = 3

---
What is E([itex]X^{3}[/itex]) if fx(x) = 2x, 0<x<1

E(X^(3)) = integral (0,1) of 2x.x^3 dx
= int (0,1) 2x^4 dx
= 2/5 x^5 .. (0,1)
= 2/5

Therefor E(X^3)) = 2/5

---
What is c if
g(x) = c|x|, x = -2, -1, 1, 2 is a probability function

For it to be a prob. function, the sum of all the probabilities must equal 1
2c + c + c + 2c = 1
c = 1/6

---
What is [itex] P(\overline{B})[/itex] if [itex] P(B|\overline{A}) = 0.5, P(\overline{A}) = 0.3[/itex] [itex] and P(B|A) = 0.8 ?[/itex]

Well I'm a bit stuck on this question;
I used some multiplicative laws to find
[itex]P(A \cap B) = 0.56[/itex]
and [itex] P(B \cap \overline{A}) = 0.15 [/itex]
I'm not sure how to continue from here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(A):
What is [itex]P(A \cup B)[/itex] if [itex] P(A) = 0.2, P(A \cap B) = 0.1, P(B) = 0.5?[/itex]

(B):
What is [itex] P(\overline{B})[/itex] if [itex] P(B|\overline{A}) = 0.5, P(\overline{A}) = 0.3[/itex] [itex] and P(B|A) = 0.8 ?[/itex]
ITEM (A):
P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B)
::: ⇒ P(A ∪ B) = (0.2) + (0.5) - (0.1)
::: ⇒ P(A ∪ B) = (0.6)

ITEM (B):
From problem statement:
P(Ac) = (0.3)
P(A) = 1 - P(Ac) = 1 - (0.3) = (0.7)

P(B | A) = (0.8)
P(Bc | A) = 1 - P(B | A) = 1 - (0.8) = (0.2)

P(B | Ac) = 0.5
P(Bc | Ac) = 1 - P(B | Ac) = 1 - (0.5) = (0.5)

Thus, using above results:
P(Bc) = P(Bc ∩ A) + P(Bc ∩ Ac) =
= P(Bc | A)*P(A) + P(Bc | Ac)*P(Ac) =
= (0.2)*(0.7) + (0.5)*(0.3)
::: ⇒ P(Bc) = (0.29)

~~

buddingscientist said:
Well the first and last I'm having some troubles with, and 2-4 I think the logic I am using is correct but would like his verified since no answers were provided

Would that just be the prob. of being in A or B minus prob of being in both (prob of being in A + prob being in B - A int B). Would it depend on whether they are mutually exclusive or not? (how can we tell if that's all tahts given in the question).
I am kind of half between (A + B) and half between (A + B - AintB). But since A int B was included in the question, would that imply that I should use A + B - A int B = 0.2 + 0.5 - 0.1 = 0.6

[itex]P(A\cup B)= P(A)+ P(B)- P(A \cap B)[/itex] so in this problem, yes, [itex]P(A\cup B)= .2+ .5- .1= 0.6[/itex].
You know that A and B are not mutually exclusive because
[itex]P(A\cap B)[/itex] is not 0!

What is E(X) if Mx(u) = [itex](1-u)^{-3}, u<1[/itex]

To find E(X) find the first derivative:
= -3(1-u)^(-4).-1
= 3(1-u)^(-4)
and then let u -> 0
3(1)^(-4)
=3

Therefor E(X) = 3

Assuming that Mx(u) is the moment generating function, then, yes, E(X) is the coefficient of u in the McLaurin expansion of Mx(u): 3 in this case.

What is E([itex]X^{3}[/itex]) if fx(x) = 2x, 0<x<1

E(X^(3)) = integral (0,1) of 2x.x^3 dx
= int (0,1) 2x^4 dx
= 2/5 x^5 .. (0,1)
= 2/5

Therefor E(X^3)) = 2/5

Yes, that's correct.

What is c if
g(x) = c|x|, x = -2, -1, 1, 2 is a probability function

For it to be a prob. function, the sum of all the probabilities must equal 1
2c + c + c + 2c = 1
c = 1/6

Of course.

Well I'm a bit stuck on this question;
I used some multiplicative laws to find
[itex]P(A \cap B) = 0.56[/itex]
and [itex] P(B \cap \overline{A}) = 0.15 [/itex]
I'm not sure how to continue from here.

Thanks

If [itex]P(\overline A)= 0.3[/itex] then P(A)= 1- 0.3= 0.7
[itex] P(B)= P(B|A)P(A)+ P(B|\overline A)P(\overline A)[/itex]
= 0.8(0.7)+ 0.5(0.3)= 0.56+ 0.15= 0.71 so
[itex]P(\overline B)= 1- 0.71= 0.29.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please explain what [itex]A^c[/itex] means? I've never encountered this notation when working with sets? Is it the same as the cartesian product of a set: [itex]A^n[/itex]

[tex]A^c[/tex] just means the complement of [tex]A[/tex].

Ahh thank you all very much, I must have been unaware of the following results:
[itex] P(B)= P(B \cap A) + P(B \cap \overline A)[/itex]
[itex] P(B)= P(B|A)P(A)+ P(B|\overline A)P(\overline A)[/itex]
and
[itex] P(\overline B)= P(\overline B \cap A) + P(\overline B \cap \overline A)[/itex]
[itex] P(\overline B)= P(\overline B|A)P(A)+ P(\overline B|\overline A)P(\overline A)[/itex]

The prob. of B is the prob of B if A happens + the prob of B if a doesn't happen. Since either A either happens or it doesn't (duh).

Once again thanks I understand it now.

Related to What is P(B) given conditional probabilities and the complement of A?

What is a few set and prob question?

A few set and prob question refers to a type of question that involves analyzing a small set of data or probabilities to determine a solution or answer. These types of questions are often used in various fields of science, such as mathematics and statistics, to test critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do I approach solving a few set and prob question?

To solve a few set and prob question, it is important to first carefully read and understand the question. Then, gather all relevant data and information and apply appropriate mathematical or statistical techniques to analyze the data. Finally, interpret the results and provide a clear and logical answer to the question.

What are some common techniques used to solve few set and prob questions?

Some common techniques used to solve few set and prob questions include calculating probabilities, using Venn diagrams and tree diagrams, applying basic algebra and geometry principles, and using statistical tools such as mean, median, and mode. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and understand when and how to apply them.

How can I improve my skills in solving few set and prob questions?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving few set and prob questions. Make sure to regularly practice similar types of questions, and also challenge yourself with more complex questions. Additionally, seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources to learn new techniques and strategies for solving these types of questions.

What are some real-world applications of few set and prob questions in science?

Few set and prob questions have various real-world applications in science, such as predicting outcomes in genetics and biology, analyzing data in environmental studies, and making financial decisions in economics and business. These types of questions also allow scientists to make informed decisions and draw conclusions based on data and probabilities.