What is Quantum Tunnel Splitting in a Double Well Potential?

In summary, quantum tunnel splitting refers to the splitting of the ground state in a double well potential when tunneling is taken into account. This happens because the inclusion of tunneling introduces a small term in the Hamiltonian, causing the two eigenstates to have slightly different energies and breaking the degeneracy.
mundhada
Hi,

I am was reading about a double well potential. I came across the word "quantum tunnel splitting". Can anyone tell me what this is?

For example if we have a double well potential we can have a |L> and |R> as two states. The article said that if we ignore the tunneling the two states are degenerate. But if we include the tunneling the "ground state" is split.

I do not understand why and how this is happening. Can anybody please explain me?

Physics news on Phys.org
mundhada, As you say, if we have two wells that are completely separated (no interaction between them) then the ground state with energy E will be twofold degenerate, corresponding to the fact that the particle can be located in either well. If we allow tunneling, this can be regarded as adding a small term ε to the Hamiltonian connecting the two states. The Hamiltonian is then of the form
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}E&ε\\ε&E\end{array}\right)[/tex]
The two eigenstates of this Hamiltonian have energy E ± ε and are no longer degenerate.

Related to What is Quantum Tunnel Splitting in a Double Well Potential?

1. What is quantum tunnel splitting?

Quantum tunnel splitting is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to do so classically. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum tunnel splitting occur?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by a wave function that represents their probability of being in a certain location. When a particle encounters a potential barrier, there is a small chance that its wave function will extend beyond the barrier, allowing it to "tunnel" through and appear on the other side.

3. What are the applications of quantum tunnel splitting?

Quantum tunnel splitting has various applications, including in quantum computing where it can be used to manipulate and control quantum bits (qubits). It is also important in understanding and predicting chemical reactions and in the development of new materials with unique properties.

4. Can quantum tunnel splitting be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum tunnel splitting is a phenomenon that occurs at the subatomic level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It is only observable through experiments and calculations in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to quantum tunnel splitting?

Yes, quantum tunnel splitting is subject to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with certainty. This means that while tunneling is possible, it is not a deterministic process and the exact outcome cannot be predicted.