What is the purpose of r hat in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of r hat in Physics and vectors, particularly in the context of Coulomb's law. R hat is commonly used to represent a unit vector along the line of action between charges. The conversation ends with a suggestion to seek help in the homework section and a humorous remark about the unpaid nature of homework helpers.
Mary O'Donovzn
Hi

I am struggling big time with Physics and vectors and I keep coming across r hat (^) like what is it exactly and how do you calculate it?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Mary O'Donovzn said:
Hi

I am struggling big time with Physics and vectors and I keep coming across r hat (^) like what is it exactly and how do you calculate it?

Thanks in advance
The hat on a vector usually means it is a unit vector, i.e. a vector of length 1 in the direction of r.

Likes David Sirius
You'll need to provide more context to get a helpful answer. Often, ##\hat r## is a unit vector in the radial direction.

Context... we need some context... Without that all we can say for sure is that it's an r with hat over it.

However, there is a very good chance that it is a unit vector in some direction of interest, and what that direction is will depend on the specific problem that's being discussed.

okay so in the exam paper it says that "r hat is the unit vector along the line of action between the charges. the question is regarding coloumbs law"

so I'm given the magnitude of the vectors and the corordinates of three charges and I need r hat to solve it

You will get much better results for this sort of question if you post in the homework section. Please use the template that appears when you start a thread there - it helps you organize your thoughts, helps the homework helpers (who are, BTW, underpaid volunteers) know where to start, and it's required by the rules in any case.

I'm closing this thread now - further discussion belongs in the homework sections.

Nugatory said:
the homework helpers (who are, BTW, underpaid volunteers)

Where "underpaid" means "unpaid", unless you count things like psychological satisfaction and Internet glory. :D

Related to What is the purpose of r hat in physics?

1. What is R hat in physics?

R hat, denoted as ̂, is a unit vector used in physics to represent the direction of a vector quantity. It is defined as a vector with a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the vector it represents.

2. How is R hat calculated?

R hat is calculated by dividing a vector by its magnitude. This will give a unit vector in the same direction as the original vector.

3. What is the significance of R hat in physics?

R hat is important in physics as it allows us to represent vector quantities and their directions in a clear and concise manner. It is particularly useful in calculations involving forces, velocities, and accelerations.

4. Can R hat have a negative direction?

No, R hat is always a unit vector with a magnitude of 1 and cannot have a negative direction. However, the vector it represents may have a negative direction.

5. How is R hat used in physics equations?

R hat is commonly used in physics equations to represent the direction of a vector quantity. It can be multiplied by the magnitude of the vector to get the full vector quantity or used in trigonometric functions to find the components of the vector in different directions.