What is saturation in terms of wavelength?

In summary: It would need to be supplied with an external power source since it is effectively acting as a power amplifier.
1832vin
could it be possible, to make a, for example, and lens that has a special texture, or colour and putting it on would make the pictures more saturated?
or maybe make a pair of glasses for people who can't produce as much cones as others?

my questions is because i can't really think of it, but what is colour saturation in terms of wavelengths, and is there a way to increase it in real life

no monitors or anything electronic(electric is fine), just physics
i'm interested

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need a material which can amplify the intensity of light while it is passing through the material, before the light travels onward to be received by the eye.
A fascinating idea, but I think highly improbable material.
It would need to be supplied with an external power source since it is effectively acting as a power amplifier.

rootone said:
You would need a material which can amplify the intensity of light while it is passing through the material, before the light travels onward to be received by the eye.
A fascinating idea, but I think highly improbable material.
It would need to be supplied with an external power source since it is effectively acting as a power amplifier.
i have thought of that, and therefore i said "not electronic (but electric is fine)" but, i thought increasing the intensity of the light just changes the brightness of the image...

and that just makes everything look whiter, which is an opposite to increasing the saturation...

More light intensity equally across the spectrum would certainly result in the perception of everything seeming brighter.
However, the light at every wavelength would still be proportionally the same as before going through the device.
Red objects still would still be seen as red, and distinct from blue objects, though both red and blue objects would appear brighter.
Increased brightness would not result in both red and blue objects tending to become white, that would require additional wavelengths being mixed into the original light.

rootone said:
More light intensity equally across the spectrum would certainly result in the perception of everything seeming brighter.
However, the light at every wavelength would still be proportionally the same as before going through the device.
Red objects still would still be seen as red, and distinct from blue objects, though both red and blue objects would appear brighter.
Increased brightness would not result in both red and blue objects tending to become white, that would require additional wavelengths being mixed into the original light.
rootone said:
I think you would need to obtain separate RGB pictures first, then create a luminance signal by adding them in fixed proportions. Then to increase saturation, this luminance signal must be subtracted from the original image, presumably by out-phasing. Subtracting images used to be done in photography by placing a negative over a positive, and enabled image processing, such as edge crispening, to be obtained. So you could perhaps place a weak black and white negative over a full colour positive.

tech99 said:
I think you would need to obtain separate RGB pictures first, then create a luminance signal by adding them in fixed proportions. Then to increase saturation, this luminance signal must be subtracted from the original image, presumably by out-phasing. Subtracting images used to be done in photography by placing a negative over a positive, and enabled image processing, such as edge crispening, to be obtained. So you could perhaps place a weak black and white negative over a full colour positive.

actually, the reason i wanted to ask, was to see if "saturationg contacts/glasses" would exist in the world, where you wear them, and things are simply more saturated, and look better

So everything looks like the photos in glossy celebrity gossip magazines.
Think I'll pass on that one.

Last edited:
rootone said:
So everything looks like the photos in glossy celebrity gossip magazines.
Think I'll pass on that one.
as in, there are places in the world that are most of the time having overcast (namingly england), and as such, it's all gloomy, colours are tony grey, psychologically bad, so, here we add some lens, and it cheers you up

or just plain, easier version of dark vision, turn up the saturation

Or move to Portugal.

Likes davenn
1832vin said:
and therefore i said "not electronic (but electric is fine)"
that's a nice contradiction ... by definition anything electronic = electric

Come to think of it, I think I remember reading about some kind of specs that had this kind of physiological effect. But I can't remember what it was called, or where I found it. I don't think it actually made colors more saturated. Just felt that way, for some colors.

I like weed too, but it's not this is not that kind of forum.

davenn said:
that's a nice contradiction ... by definition anything electronic = electric

electronic is more of a sub-set of electric things,

ie, a solenoid is electric, but it is not electronic, but a IC controlled oscillation electromagnet is electronic
you get it? electronic=electric, but electric not equals to electronic

1832vin said:
ie, a solenoid is electric, but it is not electronic

its an electronic device !stop fooling yourself and be prepared to learn some real information
There's a lot of outstanding guys on this forum that have been at electronics for many years

listen to them and learn some real world stuffDave

Related to What is saturation in terms of wavelength?

What is saturation in terms of wavelength?

Saturation in terms of wavelength refers to the point at which a given wavelength can no longer absorb any more photons. This means that the wavelength has reached its maximum capacity for light absorption, and any additional light will not result in a change in the intensity or color of the light.

How is saturation measured?

Saturation is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a material at different wavelengths. The point of saturation can be identified by looking at the absorption spectrum and noting when the curve levels off and remains constant.

What factors can affect saturation?

Several factors can affect saturation, including the concentration of the absorbing material, the distance the light travels through the material, and the intensity and wavelength of the light itself. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the material can also impact saturation.

What is the relationship between saturation and light intensity?

As the intensity of the light increases, the saturation point will also increase. This means that a higher intensity of light will be required to reach saturation. However, once the saturation point is reached, further increases in light intensity will not result in any changes in the absorption of the material.

How does saturation differ from absorption?

Saturation and absorption are closely related but not the same. Absorption refers to the process of light being absorbed by a material, while saturation refers to the maximum capacity for absorption at a specific wavelength. In other words, absorption is a process, while saturation is a point in that process.