What is the Acceleration and Momentum of a Vehicle with Given Forces and Mass?

In summary, the vehicle has a mass of 600 kg and experiences a forward force of 1500 N and a frictional force of 300 N. Using the equation F=ma, the acceleration of the vehicle is calculated to be 2 m/s^2. For part B, the momentum of the vehicle 6.0 s after starting to move is also found to be 7200 kg.m/s using the equation p=mv.
Meezus

Homework Statement

A vehicle has a mass of 600 kg. Its engine provides a forward force of 1500 N, but the motion is resisted by a constant frictional force of 300 N.
Calculate a) the acceleration of the vehicle,
b) its momentum 6.0 s after starting to move.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=f/m
Change in Moment = Force x Time.

The Attempt at a Solution

using a=f/m i can get acceleration easily.
1500 - 300 = 1200
1200 / 600 = 2.
a = 2 m/s^2

I think part B revolves around Change in Moment = Force x Time but I'm not sure as I can't see anyway to work it out using that formula but I'm unaware of another formula having time and monument in it.
Time = 6.
Force = 1200.
6 x 1200 = 7200?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the definition of momentum p=mv, and how is the velocity related to acceleration and time.

ehild said:
Remember the definition of momentum p=mv, and how is the velocity related to acceleration and time.

acceleration = change in V / t?

Meezus said:
acceleration = (change in V) / t?
yes, so what is the velocity after 6 s?

ehild said:
yes, so what is the velocity after 6 s?

a x t = change in V.
2 x 6 = 12.
p=m x v
12 x 600 = 7200?

Yes, but do no forget the unit. What is it?
You see, it is the same result.

ehild said:
Yes, but do no forget the unit. What is it?
You see, it is the same result.
7200 kg.m/s?

Correct.

Related to What is the Acceleration and Momentum of a Vehicle with Given Forces and Mass?

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This relationship can be expressed as a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

3. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is equal to the product of its mass and velocity. It is calculated as p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's momentum?

As stated in Newton's Second Law, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object. Therefore, a change in acceleration will result in a change in momentum. If the acceleration increases, the momentum will increase and vice versa.

5. Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, according to the Law of Conservation of Momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision or interaction between two objects, the total momentum before and after the event will be equal. However, momentum can be transferred between objects.