What is the acceleration and tension in a pulley system?

In summary, to find the formulas for the magnitude of acceleration and tension in the cord, apply Newton's second law by first identifying all forces acting on each mass and then using symbols for each force, such as T for tension and mg for the force of gravity. The acceleration can be labeled as "a". This can be done without specific numerical values.
megaforcetkd

Homework Statement

Apply Newton's second law to find formulas for the magnitude of the acceleration of the system and for the tension in the cord. Ignore friction and the masses of the pulley and cord. (Use only the following: m_1 for m1, m_2 for m2, and g for gravity.)

a = ?
T = ?

Homework Equations

Sum forces = ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to do this..

Attachments

• 4-49fig.gif
    4-49fig.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Identify all forces acting on each mass
(2) Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately

Well we don't have any numbers to work with so I'm trying to figure out just formulas.. I have no idea how to go about this.. I've just started this course and I haven't learned very much to do this..

You don't need numbers. Just label the forces with symbols. For example: The tension force from the string can be labeled "T". Express the force of gravity in terms of mg. Call the acceleration "a".

Reading this over might help you: Standard Newton's Laws Problems

Related to What is the acceleration and tension in a pulley system?

1. What is a beginner pulley problem?

A beginner pulley problem is a physics problem that typically involves a system of pulleys and weights, and requires the application of basic principles of mechanics and forces.

2. How do I solve a beginner pulley problem?

To solve a beginner pulley problem, you will need to identify the forces acting on the system, determine the direction and magnitude of each force, and apply the principles of equilibrium and Newton's laws of motion to find the solution.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a beginner pulley problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a beginner pulley problem include not considering the tension in the ropes, not accounting for the weight of the pulleys themselves, and not setting up the correct free-body diagram for the system.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving beginner pulley problems?

To improve your skills in solving beginner pulley problems, practice solving a variety of problems, understand the basic principles and equations involved, and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Can a beginner pulley problem be solved using different methods?

Yes, a beginner pulley problem can be solved using different methods, such as using equations of motion, using the principle of virtual work, or using the concept of conservation of energy. The method used may depend on the specific problem and the preference of the solver.