What is the acceleration due to gravity on planet x based on the range formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different range formulas to determine the acceleration due to gravity on an unknown planet. The correct formula is R=Vo^2 sin(2a)/g, and using this formula with a given distance of 156 meters and an angle of 46 degrees, the initial velocity is calculated as 46.1 m/s. When a distance of 200 meters is given, the value of g is calculated as 7.64 m/s^2, indicating the difference in gravity between Earth and the unknown planet. The confusion arises from using different formulas and not recalculating the initial velocity.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

On Earth you are able to consistently hit a golf ball 156 meter when you use your 5 iron which launches the ball at a 23 angle with respect to the ground. If you were to perform this same shot on the surface of an unknown planet called x, and be able to hit the ball 200 m, what will be the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the planet x?

My confusion is that I have somehow ended up with three range formulas and I don't know what the difference between them is:

Homework Equations

R1 = Vo2 sin(2θ)/g

R2 = Vo2 sin(2θ)/2g

I also have my textbook saying:
h = Vo2 sin2(2θ)/2g

Vo = initial velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

156 meters = V2osin(46)/(2*9.8)

Vo = 65.1964 m/s

Then solving for g on planet x I get the answer as 7.644 which is the correct answer.

What confuses me is the difference between the formulas. Are two of them wrong or are they applicable in different circumstances?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but using that formula does not give me the correct answer.

I'm confused, if you are able to hit a ball the same distance with the same stroke on two different planets, wouldn't that mean that gravity was the same on each?

That's because I forgot part of the question. On planet X when you hit the ball it goes 200 m.

Sorry, 'll go back and edit the question.

Ah okay :)

You said that you get the correct answer when you use the formula with a ##2g## in the denominator instead of just ##g##, and when you use the ##g## formula you get it wrong.

But when you use the formula with just a ##g##, did you recalculate your ##V_o##?

I ran the calculations again and you're right. I must've confused myself and used the wrong numbers somewhere. Thanks :)

So I get

R=Vo^2 sin(2a)/g

156 m= Vo^2 sin(46)/9.8

Vo = 46.1 m/s

200 m = 46.1^2sin(46)/g

g = 7.64 m/s^2

Related to What is the acceleration due to gravity on planet x based on the range formula?

What is the range formula on planets?

The range formula on planets is a mathematical equation used to calculate the maximum distance that an object can travel on a specific planet. It takes into account the planet's gravitational force, atmospheric conditions, and other factors to determine the maximum range of an object.

How is the range formula on planets different from the range formula on Earth?

The range formula on planets takes into account the specific conditions and characteristics of each planet, such as gravity and atmospheric density, while the range formula on Earth only considers the gravitational force of our planet. Therefore, the range formula on planets will vary depending on the planet being studied.

What factors affect the range formula on planets?

The range formula on planets is affected by a variety of factors including the planet's size, mass, atmospheric conditions, and gravitational force. These factors can vary greatly from planet to planet, resulting in different range formulas for each planet.

How is the range formula on planets used in space exploration?

The range formula on planets is used in space exploration to determine the maximum distance that spacecrafts, rovers, and other objects can travel on different planets. This information is crucial for planning missions and ensuring the success of space exploration endeavors.

Can the range formula on planets be used for interplanetary travel?

Yes, the range formula on planets can be used for interplanetary travel, but it will need to be adjusted for each planet in order to accurately calculate the maximum range. This is because each planet has its own unique conditions and characteristics that will affect the range formula.