What is the acceleration of a spool when a string is pulled at an angle?

In summary, a spool of mass m and moment of inertia I, with an inner radius r and an outer radius R, is free to roll without slipping on a table when pulled by a string at an angle \Theta with respect to the horizontal. The acceleration of the spool is given by \ddot{x}=T\cos{\Theta}\dfrac{R-r}{mR+\dfrac{I}{R}}, where T is the tension in the string and f is the friction force between the spool and the ground. The non-slip condition is based on the presence of this static frictional force.
conana

Homework Statement

A spool of mass m and moment of inertia I (presumably with respect to the CM) is free to roll without slipping on a table. It has an inner radius r, and an outer radius R. If you pull on the string (which is wrapped around the inner radius) with tension T at an angle [tex]\Theta[/tex] with respect to the horizontal, what is the acceleration of the spool? Which way does it move?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer for the first part, but I feel a little unsure about it. Am I on the right track?

[tex]\tau_{CM}=f-rT\cos{\Theta}=I\alpha,\hspace{.1 in}(1)[/tex]

[tex]m\ddot{x}=T\cos{\Theta}-f.\hspace{.1 in}(2)[/tex]

where f is the friction force between the spool and the ground.

The "non-slip" condition gives

[tex]\ddot{x}=R\alpha.\hspace{.1 in}(3)[/tex]

A little algebra on (2) yields

[tex]f=T\cos{\Theta}-m\ddot{x}.\hspace{.1 in}(4)[/tex]

Substituting (3), (4) into (1) gives

[tex]\tau_{CM}=T\cos{\Theta}-m\ddot{x}-rT\cos{\Theta}=I\dfrac{\ddot{x}}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow T\cos{\Theta}(1-r)=\ddot{x}\left(\dfrac{I}{R}+m\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \ddot{x}=T\cos{\Theta}\dfrac{1-r}{m+\dfrac{I}{R}}.[/tex]

[Edit] In the diagram in my book, the string is wrapped counter-clockwise around the inside of the spool so it comes out from the underside on the right and is pulled towards the right ([tex]+\hat{x}[/tex]).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of frictional force would you account for if the spool is rolling without slipping?

There is a static frictional force between the spool and the ground that keeps the spool from slipping. Without this force the spool would not roll smoothly along the ground. This is the basis of the non-slip condition.

Last edited:
I see...though you wrote the net torque as a difference between the applied torque and the frictional force in the first line (the difference does not look like it gives another torque value).

You are correct. That should have read

[tex]\tau_{CM}=Rf-rT\cos{\Theta}=I\alpha[/tex].

Thank you.

Other than that mistake and the obvious changes it will make in the rest of my algebra, does the work look correct logically?

Other than that, your work looks good (though you might want to wait for other opinions).

Thank you, Gear300. The final answer I obtain after your correction is now

[tex]\ddot{x}=T\cos{\Theta}\dfrac{R-r}{mR+\dfrac{I}{R}}[/tex]

which at least has the dimensions of an acceleration now.

FAQ: What is the acceleration of a spool when a string is pulled at an angle?

1. What is torque and how is it related to spool and string?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of spool and string, torque refers to the rotational force applied to the spool by the string, which causes it to rotate.

2. How does the diameter of a spool affect torque?

The diameter of a spool affects torque because the larger the diameter, the longer the lever arm and the more torque can be generated. This means that a larger spool will require less force to achieve the same amount of torque as a smaller spool.

3. What is the importance of string tension in regards to torque?

String tension plays a crucial role in torque because it determines the force that is applied to the spool. The higher the tension, the greater the force and therefore the greater the torque.

4. How does friction affect the relationship between torque, spool and string?

Friction can decrease the amount of torque generated by the string on the spool, as it creates resistance to the rotation. This is why it is important to minimize friction between the string and the spool in order to maximize torque.

5. Can torque, spool and string be used in real-world applications?

Yes, torque, spool and string are used in many real-world applications, such as in machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. For example, torque is used in the engine of a car to generate rotational force, while string and spool mechanisms are used in fishing reels and sewing machines.

Back