What Is the Acceleration of Block C if the Rope Between A and B Is Cut?

• Thread starter ewnair
  • Start date
In summary, there are three blocks connected by strings, with block C descending at a constant velocity. The tension in string AB is 7.31N, the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.36, and block AB weighs 20.3N each. The weight of block C is 25.3N and the question asks for the acceleration of C if the rope between AB is cut. However, the question does not provide a numerical value for acceleration due to gravity. The attempt at a solution involved using 9.80 as the acceleration due to gravity, but the answer was incorrect. It is suggested that the tension between BC may be more relevant to the acceleration of C if the rope between AB is cut.
ewnair

Homework Statement

3 blocks A B C are connected by strings as in attached image. The block C is descending with constant velocity. I've worked out the tension in string A B to be 7.31N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.36 and block a b weighs 20.3N each. I've also calculated the weight of C to be 25.3N. The last part of the question asked for the acceleration of block C if the rope between A B is cut.

Homework Equations

Link to figure

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0603/YF-05-56.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that if the rope was cut, the resultant force would be = t in A B which is 7.31N, working out to an equation 7.31 = (25.3/9.80) * acceleration. However the answer is wrong. The question did not provide a numerical value for g so i was wondering if i shouldn't have used 9.80. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• YF-05-56.jpg
    YF-05-56.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 427
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ewnair said:

Homework Statement

3 blocks A B C are connected by strings as in attached image. The block C is descending with constant velocity. I've worked out the tension in string A B to be 7.31N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.36 and block a b weighs 20.3N each. I've also calculated the weight of C to be 25.3N. The last part of the question asked for the acceleration of block C if the rope between A B is cut.

Homework Equations

Link to figure

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0603/YF-05-56.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that if the rope was cut, the resultant force would be = t in A B which is 7.31N, working out to an equation 7.31 = (25.3/9.80) * acceleration. However the answer is wrong. The question did not provide a numerical value for g so i was wondering if i shouldn't have used 9.80. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
If the rope between A & B was cut, wouldn't the tension in AB be necessarily zero? Wouldn't the tension between BC be more relevant to the acceleration of C?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response:

1. The homework statement does not mention what type of forces are acting on the blocks. Are they only considering gravitational forces or are there other forces involved? This information is important in order to accurately solve the problem.

2. The units for the weight of blocks A and B are not provided. This could also affect the accuracy of the solution.

Assuming that the only forces acting on the blocks are gravitational forces and the coefficients of kinetic friction, here is my response:

Firstly, the weight of block C should be 25.3N, not 23.5N as mentioned in the homework statement.

Secondly, the coefficient of kinetic friction should be multiplied by the normal force on each block, not by the weight of the block. In this case, the normal force on block A and B would be equal to their weight (20.3N each).

Thirdly, the acceleration of block C can be calculated using the following equation:

mC * a = FC - μk*NA - μk*NB

Where mC is the mass of block C, a is the acceleration of block C, FC is the force of tension in string AB (which is equal to 7.31N), μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and NA and NB are the normal forces on blocks A and B respectively.

Substituting the values, we get:

(25.3/9.80) * a = 7.31 - 0.36*20.3 - 0.36*20.3

a = 0.55 m/s^2

Therefore, the acceleration of block C would be 0.55 m/s^2 if the rope between blocks A and B is cut.

Note: The gravitational constant g is not required in this calculation. It is only used to convert units from Newtons to kilograms.

FAQ: What Is the Acceleration of Block C if the Rope Between A and B Is Cut?

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in newtons (N) using a spring scale or a force meter. One newton is equivalent to the force needed to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting at opposite ends. It is always directed along the length of the string and is a reaction force to the applied forces.

4. How do you calculate tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T=mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, if the string is not vertical, the formula becomes T=mgcosθ, where θ is the angle between the string and the vertical direction.

5. How does tension affect the motion of an object?

Tension can accelerate or decelerate an object depending on the direction of the force. If the tension is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase its speed. If the tension is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed. Tension can also cause an object to change its direction of motion or remain in equilibrium if the forces are balanced.

Back