What is the acceleration of the block on a frictionless wedge?

In summary: Newtons second law:F = maIn summary, the block was accelerated towards the right by an external force at 5 ms^-2 (=a).
Villhelm

Homework Statement

(This is Harris-Benson Chap5 Problem 6, the statement reads:
A block of mass m is on a wedge of mass M.
All surfaces are frictionless.
Suppose the wedge is accelerated towards the right by an external force at 5ms^-2 (=a).
What is the acceleration of the block relative to the incline (a')?
The incline is alpha (=37deg) above -ve horizontal:

http://villhelm.webs.com/wedgeblock.png

Homework Equations

Newtons laws?3. The Attempt at a Solution
Ok, I setup the free body diagrams as so:

http://villhelm.webs.com/FBDs.png

WEDGE Sum of forces in X (1):
[tex]Ma - N1sin(\alpha) = MA[/tex]
(where A is the resulting acceleration of the wedge after the block is taken into consideration ...)

BLOCK Sum of forces in X(2):
[tex]N1sin(\alpha) = m(A + a' cos(\alpha))[/tex]

BLOCK Sum of forces in Y(3):
[tex]N1cos(\alpha) - mg = -ma' sin(\alpha)[/tex]

I try to remove N1 and isolate A now, for which I get:
>>|======================From (1) + (2) above=====================
>>|[tex]Ma = MA + m(A + a' cos(\alpha))[/tex]
>>|
>>|[tex](m+M)A = ma' cos(\alpha) - Ma[/tex]
>>|
>>|[tex]A = \frac{ma' cos(\alpha) - Ma}{(m+M)}[/tex]
>>|===========================================================

Now, having an equation in A with no other unknowns, I try to get an equation for a':

>>|===============From (2)*cos(α) - (3)*sin(α) above===================
>>|[tex]N1sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha) = m(A + a' cos(\alpha)) * cos(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|-
>>|[tex]N1cos(\alpha)*sin(\alpha) - mgsin(\alpha) = -ma' sin^2(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|=
>>|[tex]mgsin(\alpha) = mAcos(\alpha) + ma' (cos^2(\alpha) + sin^2(\alpha))[/tex]
>>|=============================================================

>>|===========================================
>>|[tex]mgsin(\alpha) = m(Acos(\alpha) + a')[/tex]
>>|[tex]gsin(\alpha) = Acos(\alpha) + a'[/tex]

>>|===============substitute in the equation for A==================
>>|[tex]a' = gsin(\alpha) - Acos(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|
>>|[tex]a' = gsin(\alpha) - \frac{ma' cos(\alpha) - Ma} {(m+M)}*cos(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|========================================================

>>|[tex]a' * (m+M) = (m+M)gsin(\alpha) -ma'cos^2(\alpha) + Macos(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|
>>|[tex]a' * (m+M) +ma'cos^2(\alpha) = (m+M)gsin(\alpha) + Macos(\alpha)[/tex]
>>|
>>|[tex]a'(m+M+mcos^2(\alpha)) = (m+M)gsin(\alpha) + Macos(\alpha)[/tex]
Which eventually means I get:

>>|[tex]a' = (m+M)gsin(\alpha) + Macos(\alpha) / (m+M+mcos^2(\alpha))[/tex]
Which seems ok in so much as it doesn't have any unknowns on the right that I didn't start with. I don't have the answer to check this against, so I really could use some feedback on whether this is right or wrong.

Sorry for the messy post :rolleyes: I just wanted to make sure I put everything down in case I was doing some voodoo math. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Villhelm said:
WEDGE Sum of forces in X (1):
[tex]Ma - N1sin(\alpha) = MA[/tex]
(where A is the resulting acceleration of the wedge after the block is taken into consideration ...)

Are you sure that "a" is supposed to be the acceleration of the wedge if the block didn't exist? By the wording of the problem, I thought the wedge's acceleration with the block was 5 m/s^2.

ideasrule said:
Are you sure that "a" is supposed to be the acceleration of the wedge if the block didn't exist? By the wording of the problem, I thought the wedge's acceleration with the block was 5 m/s^2.

Yeah, the small "a" corresponds to the 5 m/s^2.

Basically, the small a is the given 5 m/s^2, associated with the force pushing the wedge, while I used A to represent the unknown acceleration of the wedge after it had also pushed into the block, during the next instant. I should probably have used A to represent it, for clarity. The "a" on the diagram is a typo. I fixed up the first diagram to make it clearer what I am meaning. Cheers for taking the time to look over this for me, it's been hounding me all day :|

By the wording of the problem, I thought the wedge's acceleration with the block was 5 m/s^2

Hmm, I kinda wondered that too, but wasn't sure how to go about dealing with that case, so I figured it was only associated with the initial push. How would I go about dealing with a constant 5m/s^2? Would it be valid to assume the force applied to the block was normal to the incline making the force on the block from the wedge something like:

[tex]m*\sqrt{a^2+a^2tan^2(\alpha)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Villhelm said:
Hmm, I kinda wondered that too, but wasn't sure how to go about dealing with that case, so I figured it was only associated with the initial push. How would I go about dealing with a constant 5m/s^2? Would it be valid to assume the force applied to the block was normal to the incline making the force on the block from the wedge something like:

[tex]m*\sqrt{a^2+a^2tan^2(\alpha)}[/tex]

If the wedge's acceleration is given, which I think it is, you don't need to write the equation of motion for the wedge; its motion is already known. Your equations for the block seem right, so if you solve those, you'll get the answer.

An easier way to go is to consider the situation from the wedge's perspective. Gravity exerts mgsin(alpha) on the block parallel to the incline, while the fictitious force mA has the component mAcos(alpha) parallel to the incline. Write out Newton's second law and you're done.

"Suppose the wedge is accelerated towards the right by an external force at 5m/s2" means that 5 m/s2 to the right is the acceleration of the wedge. This problem can be done most easily in the (non-inertial) frame of the wedge. In that frame, you have the usual force of gravity mg down and a fictitious force ma to the left. It is the same analysis as having a stationary wedge and a horizontal force pushing on the block to the left.

** Edit **
That's what ideasrule just said, but I didn't see it.

Last edited:
Cheers guys! I managed to do the question and get a numeric answer (~1.9m/s^2 down the incline, which seems reasonable). The question really might have been better if it'd appeared in the subsequent chapter, because that one deals with NI frames, which I only realized today when I started reading it ... so I guess I've learned another thing ... read ahead! :redface:

Related to What is the acceleration of the block on a frictionless wedge?

1. What is a frictionless block and wedge?

A frictionless block and wedge is a theoretical system in which two objects, a block and a wedge, are in contact with each other but there is no friction between them. This means that the block and wedge can move against each other without any resistance.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a block and wedge?

In a frictionless block and wedge system, there is no friction to oppose the motion of the objects. However, in real-world situations, friction can play a significant role in slowing down or stopping the motion of a block and wedge.

3. What is the purpose of studying frictionless block and wedge systems?

Studying frictionless block and wedge systems allows scientists to understand the fundamental principles of motion and how different factors, such as friction, can affect it. This knowledge can then be applied to real-world situations to improve technologies and solve problems.

4. How can a frictionless block and wedge be used in practical applications?

A frictionless block and wedge can be used in various practical applications, such as in machinery and engineering, where reducing friction is crucial for efficiency and performance. It can also be used in educational settings to demonstrate concepts of motion and mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a frictionless block and wedge?

While a completely frictionless block and wedge is not possible in the real world, there are some systems that come close to it. For example, air hockey tables use a cushion of air to reduce friction between the puck and the table, creating a nearly frictionless surface for the puck to glide on.