What Is the Angle Between Photon Momentum and Initial Motion in Pi Meson Decay?

I wouldn't have much time to do the calculation myself today, though.In summary, A neutral pi meson, with a rest mass of 135 MeV, decays symmetrically into two photons while moving at high speed. Each photon has an energy of 100 MeV in the lab system. The angle between the momentum of each photon and the initial line of motion is 42 degrees, as determined by using Lorentz invariants and assuming equal momentum and energy for each photon. In the case of a high energy photon colliding with a proton at rest, the minimum energy the photon must have for the reaction to occur is 1073 MeV, which is determined by considering the conservation of four-momentum and assuming zero momentum
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
A neutral pi meson, rest mass 135 MeV, decays symmetrically into two photons while moving at high speed. the energy of each photon in the lab system is 100 MeV.
find the angle 'a' in the lab system between the momentum of each photon and the initial line of motion.

the answer in the book is 42 degrees, but i found that it's 39.88 or something like that, here's my solution the initial four momentum is: (E/c,P)=(2E_ph,P1+P2)
now by using lorentz invariant here:
M_pi_rest^2*c^2=(E/c)^2-P^2=(4E_ph^2/c^2-(P1+P2)^2)
and we know that E_ph/c=P1=P2
so we get (2E_ph^2/c^2)-(E_ph/c)^2*cos(a)=M_pi^2c^2
from there i calclulated the angle, but didn't get 42 degrees, perhaps the book is outdated and this accounts for the rounding up.

any advice as to wether i got it confused or the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
i have another question, not quite sure if i got it right.
A high energy photon (gamma ray) collides with a proton at rest. A neutral pi meson is produced according to the reaction:
gamma photon+ proton=> proton+neutral pi meson
What is the minimum energy the gamma ray must have for this reaction to occur? the rest mass of a proton is 938 MeV and that of the neutral pi meson is 135 MeV.
well again I am using here four-momentum:
before the reaction: P=(E'/c+m_p*c,E'/c) where E' is the energy of the photon.
now after the reaction we have P'=(E1/c,p_1)+(E2/c,p_2) where 1 is the proton and 2 is the pi meson, now from this we have the equations:
(E'/c+m_p*c)^2-(E'/c)^2=(E1/c+E2/c)^2-(p1+p2)^2
(E1/c)^2-p1^2=(m_p*c)^2
(E2/c)^2-p2=(m_pi*c)^2
p1+p2=E'/c
E'/c+m_p*c=(E1+E2)/c
after rearranging i get the next equation (i reming you that i need to find E'):
2E'*m_p=(m_pi*c)^2+2(E1*E2)/c^2-2p1p2
now here is where I am stuck, i need to replace p1 and p2 and also E1 and E2, but it has to be some nasy algebraic manipulation, how to get my head over it?

thanks in advance.

I get 42.45°. Perhaps double-check your calculations starting from [tex] m_\pi{}^2 = 2 E_\gamma{}^2 - 2 E_{\gamma}{}^2 \cos \alpha [/tex], which I also got.

Disclaimer: I omitted all factors of c. Think I should explicitely note it since it often seems a source of confusion.

EDIT: Got a bit confused over your non-use of tex. You forgot the factor 2 at the cos-term stemming from [tex] (\vec p_1 + \vec p_2)^2 = \| \vec p_1 \| + \| \vec p_2 \| + \mathbf{2} \| \vec p_1 \| \vec p_2 \| \cos \alpha [/tex], either as a typo due to the badly readable ASCII or in your calculation.

Last edited:
ok, i see where i got my mistake, forgot the two, in the term with the cosine, thanks.
can you help me with the next question?

p.s
welcome aboard, i see you're new to the forums, it's a great site, hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

You should really use tex to display your equations - makes your posts much more readable (especially when considering your relatively condensed posting style) and therefore makes it more likely that someone will take the time reading them and possibly replying, then.

Two remarks on the 2nd problem:
- Since you're explicitely keeping factors of c, there's an error in your "P=...": The first E'/c should be an energy, i.e. only E'.
- I've not worked through the problem but the first thing that I'd try is assuming [tex]\vec p_1= \vec p_2=0[/tex] and [tex]E=m_p+m_\pi[/tex] in the center-of-mass frame (which is not the frame that E' is given/asked!) and see if it gives sensible results.

Related to What Is the Angle Between Photon Momentum and Initial Motion in Pi Meson Decay?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that explains how objects move and interact in the universe, specifically in relation to time and space. It consists of two parts: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which takes into account acceleration and gravity.

2. What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy refers to the total energy of an object that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account both the object's rest energy (mass) and its kinetic energy.

3. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Unlike classical energy, relativistic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which become significant at high speeds. This means that the energy of an object can increase significantly as it approaches the speed of light.

4. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum refers to the momentum of an object that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity, adjusted for the effects of special relativity.

5. How does relativistic energy and momentum relate to each other?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that as an object's energy increases, so does its mass, and vice versa. Relativistic momentum is directly related to this concept, as it takes into account the increased mass of an object at high speeds.