What Is the Angle Between Position Vectors AB and AC?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle theta between AB and AC, given the coordinates of points A, B, and C. The attempted solution involves finding the magnitudes of the direction vectors r and using them to calculate the angle using arccosine. However, there were errors in the calculation of the magnitudes, resulting in an incorrect angle. The correct magnitude and angle were eventually obtained by rounding to two significant digits.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch2.p118a.jpg

FInd the angle theta between AB and AC. a-1.7m, b=1.3m

masteringengineering.com says my answer is wrong. I'm not sure of any other way to do the problem. Please advise.

Homework Equations

A(3, 0, 0) B(0, -.75, 1.3) C(0, 1.7, 1.5)

The Attempt at a Solution

r(AC)= -3i +1.7j + 1.5k
r(AB)= -3i -.75j +1.3k

r(ACmag)*r(ABmag)= 13.3

r(AB)*r(AC)= 9.67

arccos(9.67/13.3)= 43.4

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see a way of getting the lengths AB , BC and CA using right angle triangles and Pythagoras' Theorem ?

BC= sqrt(2.45^2+.2^2)= 2.46
AB= 3.54
AC= 3.76

I found AB & AC by finding the magnitude of the direction vectors r. If this is correct, I assume I take the tangent but I'm not sure which side would be considered adjacent.

Robb said:
r(ACmag)*r(ABmag)= 13.3

Wrong.
Robb said:
r(AB)*r(AC)= 9.67

Keep 4 digit during the calculations.

Robb said:
BC= sqrt(2.45^2+.2^2)= 2.46
AB= 3.54
AC= 3.76
BC is not needed. Your initial approach was correct, but the magnitude of the vectors are wrong.

13.3 is the magnitude of each vector multiplied together (3.76*3.54). 9.76 is obtained by multiplying the vectors together then adding the result (-3i-.75j+1.3k)(-3i+1.7k+1.5k)= (9-1.28+1.95) = 9.76. So, I figured arccos(9.76/13.3 )= 43.4

So, by carrying out my decimal to four places I get 12.6136 for a magnitude. so, arccos(9.76/12.6136)= 39.9

Robb said:
So, by carrying out my decimal to four places I get 12.6136 for a magnitude. so, arccos(9.76/12.6136)= 39.9
The product of the two vectors is not 9.76, but close. The result for the angle is all right. Write it out with two significant digits.

Related to What Is the Angle Between Position Vectors AB and AC?

1. What is the definition of angle between position vectors?

The angle between position vectors is defined as the angle formed between two vectors originating from the same point, with their tails at the origin and their heads at the respective points in space.

2. How is the angle between position vectors calculated?

The angle between two position vectors, a and b, can be calculated using the dot product formula: cosθ = (a · b) / (|a| * |b|), where θ is the angle between the two vectors, and |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of the vectors. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for the angle θ: θ = cos-1((a · b) / (|a| * |b|)).

3. What is the significance of the angle between position vectors?

The angle between position vectors is significant because it provides information about the orientation and direction of two vectors in space. It can also be used to calculate the work done by a force acting on an object, as well as the torque exerted on an object.

4. Can the angle between position vectors be negative?

No, the angle between position vectors cannot be negative. The dot product formula for calculating the angle always returns a positive value, and the angle is typically measured in the range of 0 to 180 degrees or 0 to π radians. A negative angle would indicate an angle greater than 180 degrees or π radians, which is not possible.

5. How does the angle between position vectors affect the magnitude of their resultant?

The angle between position vectors does not affect the magnitude of their resultant. The magnitude of the resultant is solely determined by the magnitudes of the two vectors and the angle between them is only used to determine the direction of the resultant vector.