What Is the Angle of Incidence for Light to Emerge Parallel from a Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle of incidence of a light beam that is incident on a sphere with refractive index √3 and emerges parallel to the horizontal axis. The triangle formed inside the circle is isosceles and the angle of incidence can be found using the cosine rule and other properties of triangles. By extending a line and solving equations, the angle of incidence is determined to be 30°.
JonNash
[Mentor's note: this thread does not use the normal homework forum template because it was originally posted in a non-homework forum, then moved here.]

A light beam is incident on a sphere with refractive index n=√3 at an angle i from air and emerges parallel to the horizontal axis passing through the center of the sphere. Find i?

Here I made a line from the center of the sphere
25.jpg
to the exit point of the ray after which it becomes parallel to the axis. I attached a rough diagram I made in paint for it.

Now the triangle formed inside the circle is isosceles and hence two sides and corresponding angles are equal so we have two sides as r and I named the last side as d and the angle at the center is unknown. Here I only have one numerical value (n=√3) and I have to find the angle of incidence. I know there is some geometry involved so I used the cosine rule to solve for the refracted angle but even combined with snells law and other properties of triangles (S and Δ) I just don't see how to proceed, can you guys please help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There you go, this image should help.

note that θ=Θ-θ because it's and isosceles triangle. so Θ=2θ (θ is the angle of refraction from air to the sphere)

so √3 sin(2θ-θ) = sin(2θ)

expand the sin on the RHS you get: √3 sin(θ) = 2sin(θ)cos(θ)

solve that you get θ = 30°

now it's easy to solve this equation sin(i)=√3 sin(θ) to get i.

Attachments

• IMAG2374.jpg
    IMAG2374.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 545
user3 said:
note that θ=Θ-θ because it's and isosceles triangle. so Θ=2θ (θ is the angle of refraction from air to the sphere)

so √3 sin(2θ-θ) = sin(2θ)

expand the sin on the RHS you get: √3 sin(θ) = 2sin(θ)cos(θ)

solve that you get θ = 30°

now it's easy to solve this equation sin(i)=√3 sin(θ) to get i.

i=600
Thanks a gazillion. Just extending one line makes a hell of a difference, well, I guess that's geometry for you. Anyhow, thanks again. World is simpler again till I find another brainteaser from Euclid.

FAQ: What Is the Angle of Incidence for Light to Emerge Parallel from a Sphere?

What is refraction in a sphere?

Refraction in a sphere is the bending of light as it passes through a spherical object, such as a glass or water sphere.

How does refraction occur in a sphere?

Refraction occurs in a sphere due to the change in the speed of light as it travels through different mediums. As the light enters the sphere, it changes speed and bends, creating the effect of refraction.

What factors affect the amount of refraction in a sphere?

The amount of refraction in a sphere is affected by the shape and material of the sphere, as well as the angle at which the light enters and exits the sphere.

What is the difference between positive and negative refraction in a sphere?

Positive refraction occurs when the light bends towards the normal line in the direction of travel, while negative refraction occurs when the light bends away from the normal line.

How is refraction in a sphere used in everyday life?

Refraction in a sphere is used in everyday life in various optical devices, such as lenses and telescopes. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in different mediums, such as in the study of rainbows and mirages.