What is the approach to solving limits using L'Hopital's rule?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using L'Hopital's Rule but got incorrect answers. The student is trying to figure out what went wrong.
Jadenag

Homework Statement

712p91.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to make sure what I am doing is correct. My teacher hasnt been very helpful.
In the first two parts iwe merely placed in the limit value and gotten ratios which I think are the limits.

In part c and onwards iwe generally gotten an indeterminate form each time Iwe placed in the limit so i used L hopitals rule and differentiated the top and bottom functions and then placed in the limit value on i.e f'(a)/g'(a) and used that as my answer. Is my thought process correct?

The answers I achieved are
a 2
b 272/11
c 21.6
d -1/6
e 1/3
f 1
g 3

Some of these are scary fractions and decimals. Should I be worried about those. comments and criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

c,e,f, and g are incorrect. g actually has 2 cases (or is undefined depending on how you look at it).

If you show your work we can figure out what happened.

Last edited:

C. i differentiated the top and the bottom. So I got
4x^3/(4x-5)
Next I put in the value 3 in place of x. Okay wait so I am getting 108/7 is this correct?

E.
Again I differentiate.
I get 1/(1/3x^-2/3) Put 27 in for x and I get 27. Is this the correct answer?

F.
Initially what I did was cancel out the x from all the terms.
And I am left with

(x^2 -7)/x^2 but i notice that that's not getting me any where

so i differentiated top and bottom from the beginning.
So I got (3x^2 -7)/3x^2

this wasnt getting me anywhere so I differentiated this again
and got 6x/6x. Here I am left with 1 hence my answer.

G.
I again did the same.
(2x+1)/1 and put in x as 1. to get 3.

Please let me know what i did wrong.

Also a question regarding L hopitals rule its NOt only applicable when x tends to zero right? Because Iwe used it in cases where x has not tended to zero as well.

Item #c can be simplied and then direct substitution of x=3 can be done. No need for L'Hopital's Rule.

[itex]Lim_{x\rightarrow 3}\frac{x^4-81}{2x^2-5x-3}[/itex]

Working with the expressin, [itex]\frac{(x^2+9)(x^2-9)}{(2x+1)(x-3)}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{(x^+9)(x+3)(x-3)}{(2x+2)(x-3)}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{(x^2+9)(x+3)}{(2x+1)}[/itex]
Now you can substitute 3 for x in this last expression and evaluate.

#f, L'Hopital's Rule gives these expressions,

First derivative of top and bottom:
[itex]\frac{3x^2-7}{3x^2}[/itex]
Second derivatives...
[itex]\frac{6x-0}{6x}[/itex], which is clearly equal to 1 (that is, as x approaches 0).

Thanks for the help. Can someone also look into e and g since Iwe been told that those are incorrect. My answers for e and g are 27 and 3 respectively. Thanks.

Looks like e) is right. You can also try using the difference of cubes formula
a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2).
a, in this case, would be x1/3.

e looks good this time around.

Try graphing out g and check out what the function does as x approaches 1. In a situation like this you can break the limit into two cases and specify what the limit is as x approaches 1 from both the positive and negative side. Some professors simply call it undefined and leave it at that though.

symbolipoint said:
#f, L'Hopital's Rule gives these expressions,

First derivative of top and bottom:
[itex]\frac{3x^2-7}{3x^2}[/itex]
Second derivatives...
[itex]\frac{6x-0}{6x}[/itex], which is clearly equal to 1 (that is, as x approaches 0).

After you take the first derivatives of the num/den there you no longer have an indeterminate form and cannot apply L'hopital's Rule. Unless there is some other case which allows the second derivative to be taken?

I don't believe that this limit is 1.

QuarkCharmer said:
After you take the first derivatives of the num/den there you no longer have an indeterminate form and cannot apply L'hopital's Rule. Unless there is some other case which allows the second derivative to be taken?

I don't believe that this limit is 1.

If you get an indeterminate form when you take the ration of the derivatives of the two function you can consider the second and third derivatives as well.

Jadenag said:
If you get an indeterminate form when you take the ration of the derivatives of the two function you can consider the second and third derivatives as well.

Instead of taking the 2nd derivative, take the 1st derivative:
[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{3x^2 - 7}{3x^2}[/itex]
... and split into a difference of two fractions. Remember that the limit of a difference is the difference of the limits. See what happens from there.

My efforts on #f are way off. Not yet sure what the best method is, but graphing the function shows moving toward negative infinity as x approaches 0. No limit.

Jadenag said:

Yes but the problem in question did not result in an indeterminate form. The initial equation resulted in a type 0/0 ind. allowing L'hopital's rule to be applied. If you tried to take the limit again you would end up dividing by zero, but the numerator was a non-zero. I'm pretty sure that L'Hopital does not allow this by definition, as it is not an indeterminate form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule#Other_indeterminate_formsTo solve limit f you might try taking the first derivative (L'hopital) as to end up with:

[tex]lim_{x \to 0} \frac{3x^{2}-7}{3x^{2}}[/tex]

From there, I broke the fraction into parts:

[tex]1-\frac{7}{3x^{2}}[/tex]

Now I simply factored out the 3 from the denominator and moved the limit on inside so that:

[tex]1- \frac{7}{3(lim_{x \to 0}x^2)}[/tex]

Then just use the fact that [itex](lim_{x \to 0}x^{n}) = (lim_{x \to 0}x)^{n}[/itex]

Then you can just think about how when x goes to, but never "reaches" 0. the denominator get's really really small. Making the fraction tend to infinity. But it's one minus the fraction, so it shoots off to - infinity.

Last edited:

symbolipoint said:
My efforts on #f are way off. Not yet sure what the best method is, but graphing the function shows moving toward negative infinity as x approaches 0. No limit.

Use L'Hopital's once and the numerator is -7 while the denominator is zero. So yes, it doesn't reach a limit.

QuarkCharmer said:
Yes but the problem in question did not result in an indeterminate form. The initial equation resulted in a type 0/0 ind. allowing L'hopital's rule to be applied. If you tried to take the limit again you would end up dividing by zero, but the numerator was a non-zero. I'm pretty sure that L'Hopital does not allow this by definition, as it is not an indeterminate form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule#Other_indeterminate_forms

To solve limit f you might try taking the first derivative (L'hopital) as to end up with:

[tex]lim_{x \to 0} \frac{3x^{2}-7}{3x^{2}}[/tex]

From there, I broke the fraction into parts:

[tex]1-\frac{7}{3x^{2}}[/tex]

Now I simply factored out the 3 from the denominator and moved the limit on inside so that:

[tex]1- \frac{7}{3(lim_{x \to 0}x^2)}[/tex]

Then just use the fact that [itex](lim_{x \to 0}x^{n}) = (lim_{x \to 0}x)^{n}[/itex]

Then you can just think about how when x goes to, but never "reaches" 0. the denominator get's really really small. Making the fraction tend to infinity. But it's one minus the fraction, so it shoots off to - infinity.

wow thankyou. And thankyou everyone else too!

L'hopital's rule has three conditions, and if they don't apply, you can't use it. You must always check them.

(3x^2 - 7) / 3x^2 fails the first condition in the above question, the numerator and denominator do not have the same limit in that case.

verty said:
L'hopital's rule has three conditions, and if they don't apply, you can't use it. You must always check them.

(3x^2 - 7) / 3x^2 fails the first condition in the above question, the numerator and denominator do not have the same limit in that case.

what are those three conditions?
As far as I am concerned all Iwe been doing is checking for an indeterminate form and if its tjere applying L hopitals rule.

Also. When you guys suggested breaking it into two parts and not going for the second derivative, I remember my teacher saying somewhere that if the ratio of the first derivatives of the two function is zero you consider the ratio of the second derivatives? Is that incorrect?

QuarkCharmer said:
Try graphing out g and check out what the function does as x approaches 1. In a situation like this you can break the limit into two cases and specify what the limit is as x approaches 1 from both the positive and negative side. Some professors simply call it undefined and leave it at that though.

This is not described as two "cases" generally. What you describe is that the two "one-sided limits" do not agree, so the (two-sided) limit does not exist. It is not simply "undefined" because a standard "epsilon-delta" argument would fail for this function near x = 1.

Another way you can see that there's going to be trouble is that this function has an oblique asymptote of y = x + 1 and a vertical asymptote at x = 1 . For the graph to be contained by those lines, the curve for x > 1 must run off to "positive infinity" as x approaches 1 , while the branch for x < 1 must go to "negative infinity". So there is no meaning for a limit as x approaches 1.

Last edited:

Jadenag said:
what are those three conditions?
As far as I am concerned all Iwe been doing is checking for an indeterminate form and if its tjere applying L hopitals rule.

Also. When you guys suggested breaking it into two parts and not going for the second derivative, I remember my teacher saying somewhere that if the ratio of the first derivatives of the two function is zero you consider the ratio of the second derivatives? Is that incorrect?

If this is (f) you're talking about, you have to try something else because after taking first derivatives, the "limit" as x --> 0 is now "-7/0", so L'Hopital will avail you no further...

dynamicsolo said:
This is not described as two "cases" generally. What you describe is that the two "one-sided limits" do not agree, so the (two-sided) limit does not exist. It is not simply "undefined" because a standard "epsilon-delta" argument would fail for this function near x = 1.

Another way you can see that there's going to be trouble is that this function has an oblique asymptote of y = x + 1 and a vertical asymptote at x = 1 . For the graph to be contained by those lines, the curve for x > 1 must run off to "positive infinity" as x approaches 1 , while the branch for x < 1 must go to "negative infinity". So there is no meaning for a limit as x approaches 1.

I haven't got into the epsilon-delta limit stuff. My professor used to have us break those limits into two cases, for when the variable is approaches fromt the positive and the negative. I'm sure you are probably right though.

FAQ: What is the approach to solving limits using L'Hopital's rule?

What is a "Limit homework help question"?

A "Limit homework help question" is a type of question that asks for assistance in solving a specific problem related to limits in mathematics.

Why do students ask for help with limit homework?

Students may ask for help with limit homework because they are struggling to understand the concept or are having difficulty solving the problem on their own.

How do I know if my question is a "Limit homework help question"?

A "Limit homework help question" typically involves a specific limit problem and includes details such as the function, limit point, and desired outcome. It may also include any work the student has already done on the problem.

Can I get help with my limit homework from a scientist?

Yes, scientists with expertise in mathematics may be able to provide assistance with "Limit homework help questions". However, it is important to note that they may not have a background in teaching and may not be familiar with the specific curriculum or guidelines of your course.

Is it okay to ask for help with limit homework?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help with limit homework. In fact, seeking help can be beneficial in understanding the concept and improving your problem-solving skills. However, it is important to make sure you are actively learning and not just relying on others to do the work for you.