What is the approximate focal length for a 10X telescope with a 20 cm length?

In summary, a telescope is a scientific instrument that collects and focuses light from distant objects in order to see them in greater detail and understand the vastness of the universe. It works by using lenses or mirrors to gather and focus light, and the main purpose is to study and observe objects in the night sky. Choosing the right telescope depends on individual needs and interests, and it is possible to use a telescope during the day with proper safety precautions.
BuBbLeS01
Test TOMORROW PLEASE HELP ME! Telescope!

Homework Statement

I need serious help! I have a test tomorrow and I am having trouble with microscope/telescope questions...

A person is designing a 10X telescope is limited to a length of 20 cm, what is the approximate focal length of the objective?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M = 10X
L = 20 cm
Fo = ?

The equation I found for a telescope is M = -Fo/Fe and the rest of the equations involve theta which I don't have. And I don't have Fe?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it nevermind.

Hello! I am here to help you with your question. Don't worry, I will break it down for you step by step.

First, let's define some terms. The focal length (Fo) is the distance between the lens and the point where the image is formed. The magnification (M) is the ratio of the image size to the object size. In this case, we know that M = 10X, which means the image size will be 10 times larger than the object size.

Next, we have the length of the telescope (L), which is given as 20 cm. This is the total length of the telescope, including both the objective lens (which collects the light) and the eyepiece (which magnifies the image).

Now, let's use the equation you found, M = -Fo/Fe, where Fe is the focal length of the eyepiece. We can rearrange this equation to solve for Fo, which is what we are looking for.

M = -Fo/Fe
10 = -Fo/Fe (since M = 10X)
10Fe = -Fo (multiply both sides by Fe)
-Fo = 10Fe
Fo = -10Fe (multiply both sides by -1)

Now, we can substitute this value for Fo into the equation L = Fo + Fe, where L = 20 cm. This will give us an equation with only one unknown variable, Fe.

L = Fo + Fe
20 = -10Fe + Fe (substitute -10Fe for Fo)
20 = -9Fe
Fe = -20/9 (divide both sides by -9)

So, the focal length of the eyepiece (Fe) is approximately -20/9 cm. But remember, this is the focal length of the eyepiece, not the objective lens. To find the focal length of the objective lens (Fo), we can use the equation we found earlier, Fo = -10Fe.

Fo = -10Fe
Fo = -10(-20/9) (substitute -20/9 for Fe)
Fo = 200/9 cm (multiply -10 by -20/9)

Therefore, the approximate focal length for a 10X telescope with a 20 cm length is 200/9 cm. I hope this helps you understand and solve similar problems in the future. Good luck

FAQ: What is the approximate focal length for a 10X telescope with a 20 cm length?

1. What is a telescope?

A telescope is a scientific instrument used to collect and focus light from distant objects, such as stars, planets, and galaxies. It allows us to see these objects in greater detail and helps us understand the vastness of the universe.

2. How does a telescope work?

A telescope works by using lenses or mirrors to gather and focus light. The larger the telescope's aperture (the diameter of the lens or mirror), the more light it can collect and the clearer the image will be. The focused light is then magnified by an eyepiece, allowing us to see the object in greater detail.

3. What is the purpose of a telescope?

The main purpose of a telescope is to help us study and observe objects in the night sky. It allows us to see objects that are too far away or too faint to be seen with the naked eye. Telescopes also help us gather data and make scientific discoveries about the universe.

4. How do I choose the right telescope?

Choosing the right telescope depends on your specific needs and interests. Factors to consider include the type of objects you want to observe, your budget, and your level of experience. Researching different telescope models and seeking advice from experts can help you make an informed decision.

5. Can I use a telescope during the day?

Yes, you can use a telescope during the day to observe objects such as the Sun, the Moon, and planets. However, special filters must be used to protect your eyes and the telescope from the intense sunlight. It is important to follow safety precautions when using a telescope during the day.

Back