What is the asymptotical expansion of Sin(x^-1)?

• Thread starter GiuseppeR7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of asymptotic expansion and its application in understanding the behavior of a function as x approaches infinity. The individual asking for help is specifically interested in finding the asymptotic series for Ln(1/sqrt(1+x)). Resources for understanding and finding asymptotic series are suggested.
GiuseppeR7
Hi guys...i'm a little naive...i encountered the limit of this function:

Sin(x^-1) x

as the x goes to infinity...in order to study it i know that i have to find the Taylor series about the function Sin(t) centered in 0 having defined t=(x^-1)...something called asymptotical expansion of Sin(x^-1). The fact is that i have not found this technique or the theory behind this so called "asymptotical expansion" in any book! So i was asking of somebody can help me about this with some explanation or some material! thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Asymptotic expansion is a process where you expand a function about its limit.
In ## x \sin \frac1x ## with a large x, you have one large term and one small term, so asymptotic expansion is one good way to understand the behavior of the function for large x.
A quick search pulls up plenty of resources. One that looks reasonably explanatory is http://www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m321/asymptotic.pdf.

You should know that [itex]\lim_{\theta\to 0} \frac{sin(\theta)}{\theta}= 0[/itex]. That is the same as saying that, for small [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is approximately equal to [itex]\theta[/itex] and the approximation gets better the smaller [itex]\theta[/itex] is. As x goes to infinity, [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] goes to 0 so [itex]\lim_{x\to \infty} x sin(1/x)= \lim_{\theta\to 0}\frac{sin(\theta)}{\theta}= 1[/itex].

Ok, thanks for the reply...for example...how can i find the asymptotic series for Ln(1/Sqrt(1 + x)) ?

Last edited:
I would go to wolframalpha.com and type in "series ln(1/(sqrt(1+x)))".

Related to What is the asymptotical expansion of Sin(x^-1)?

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to determine the value a function approaches or "approaches but never reaches".

Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of functions at specific points, even if the function is undefined at that point. They are essential in the development of calculus, and are used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use several methods such as direct substitution, factoring, or using a graphing calculator. However, the most common method is to evaluate the function at values that are very close to the value the input is approaching and observe the pattern of the output.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function from both directions and requires that the left and right limits exist and are equal for the limit to exist.

Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This occurs when the function has a "hole" or a "jump" at that point, meaning that the function is not defined at that point but approaches a certain value as the input gets closer to it.