What is the average acceleration?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem that involves experimental error calculation. The person is trying to find a shorter way to solve the problem since there are 12 points and the given margin is too small. However, they only have one equation to work with, which may not be relevant to the problem.
InSpiRatioNy

Homework Statement

I'ts part of a bigger problem, but this is all the info given.
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7923/chartro3.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm doing an experimental error calculation, and that equation wouldn't relevant, but that's the only one I got.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to slowly minus them together, but it would take really long since there are 12 points, there must be a shorter way, and the margin given for it (it is generally expected to fit) is too small to contain that much work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
InSpiRatioNy said:
... that equation wouldn't relevant, but that's the only one I got.

I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to do. For example, that statement makes no sense to me. I see no equation in your post or the link you gave.

The average acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in velocity over the change in time. In this case, since the graph shows the velocity over time, we can use the slope of the line to determine the average acceleration. This can be done by selecting two points on the line and using the formula: (change in velocity)/(change in time). The average acceleration can also be found by taking the area under the curve and dividing it by the total time. If the graph is not a straight line, the average acceleration can be found by taking the slope of the secant line between the two points and averaging them.

FAQ: What is the average acceleration?

What is the average acceleration?

The average acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be thought of as an overall measure of an object's acceleration, while instantaneous acceleration provides information about an object's acceleration at a specific point in time.

What units are used to measure average acceleration?

The units of average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. This represents the change in velocity (in meters or feet per second) over the change in time (in seconds).

Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative if the velocity of an object is decreasing over time. This indicates that the object is slowing down.

How is average acceleration related to distance and time?

Average acceleration is not directly related to distance and time. It is a measure of how quickly velocity changes over time, while distance is a measure of how far an object has traveled and time is a measure of how long it took to travel that distance. However, the distance an object travels can affect its average acceleration if the velocity changes over that distance.

Back