What Is the Average Lapse Rate for a Rising Radiosonde?

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment on air masses and instability, specifically regarding environmental lapse rates detected by a rising radiosonde. The question is whether to calculate the average lapse rate using the entire troposphere or just the blue section of the graph where temperature loss is uniform. The speaker suggests asking a group of UK weathermen for their opinion.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Hey. I was wondering if you guys could help me with something. I'm doing an assignment on air masses & instability etc etc. One of the things it asks me is about envirionmental lapse rates detected by a rising radiosonde. It seems fairly straightforward mostly, however it asks me to work out the average lapse rate. Here is a sketch of the graph I'm working with:

ELR.jpg

When working out the average rate, should I take it from the whole of the troposphere, including the green section that is under the influence of frontal weather systems, or should i just use the blue section where the temperature loss is reasonably uniform with height?

thanks in advance.
Matt.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I understand the question and intuitively I'd say the whole range but that would not help establishing whether or not most of the section was stable our unstable.

So why don't you ask it to a whole bunch of nice UK weatherman in this cosy place here.

Hi Matt,

The average lapse rate for a rising radiosonde can vary depending on the atmospheric conditions, but on average, it is around 6.5°C per kilometer. This is known as the environmental lapse rate and is calculated by dividing the change in temperature by the change in height.

When working out the average lapse rate, it is important to consider the entire troposphere, including the green section under the influence of frontal weather systems. This is because these systems can significantly impact the temperature and can cause changes in the lapse rate. It is important to take into account all the data points to get an accurate average.

I hope this helps with your assignment. Good luck!

Related to What Is the Average Lapse Rate for a Rising Radiosonde?

1. What is an environmental lapse rate and how does it differ from adiabatic lapse rates?

An environmental lapse rate refers to the decrease in temperature with increasing altitude in the Earth's atmosphere. This rate is affected by various environmental factors such as humidity, wind, and solar radiation. Adiabatic lapse rates, on the other hand, refer to the temperature change of a parcel of air as it rises or sinks in the atmosphere. The adiabatic lapse rate is affected by the parcel's moisture content and can differ from the environmental lapse rate.

2. How is the environmental lapse rate measured?

The environmental lapse rate is typically measured using instruments such as radiosondes, which are attached to weather balloons and collect data on temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind as they ascend through the atmosphere. This data is then used to calculate the environmental lapse rate.

3. What factors can affect the environmental lapse rate?

The environmental lapse rate can be affected by various factors such as solar radiation, wind patterns, humidity, and topography. For example, higher levels of solar radiation can lead to a steeper lapse rate, while increased humidity can result in a less steep lapse rate.

4. How does the environmental lapse rate impact weather and climate?

The environmental lapse rate plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns and overall climate. A steep lapse rate can lead to more unstable atmospheric conditions, resulting in thunderstorms and other severe weather events. Additionally, changes in the environmental lapse rate can impact the distribution of temperature and moisture in the atmosphere, influencing global climate patterns.

5. Can the environmental lapse rate change over time?

Yes, the environmental lapse rate is not a constant value and can vary depending on the conditions in the atmosphere. Natural phenomena such as El Niño and La Niña can cause changes in the environmental lapse rate, and human activities such as air pollution can also impact it. Scientists continue to study and monitor changes in the environmental lapse rate to better understand its effects on weather and climate.