What is the Average Molarity of Sodium Hypochlorite in a Titration Experiment?

In summary, the task at hand is to determine the average molarity of sodium hypochlorite solution based on the results of titrating 10 mL of diluted bleach with sodium thiosulfate, with volumes of 17.95 mL, 18.31 mL, and 18.21 mL used to reach endpoint. The molarity of sodium thiosulfate has been determined to be 0.072 M, but it is unclear how to use this information to find the molarity of sodium hypochlorite. The formula M1V1=M2V2 was used to calculate a value of 0.0084 M for sodium hypochlorite, but the average molarity remains unknown due to only having
chemnerd666

Homework Statement

I am required to determine an average molarity for sodium hypochlorite solution, the experiment involved titrating 10 mL of 1:10 diluted bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with sodium thiosulfate, the volumes of titrant used to reach endpoint are, 17.95 mL, 18.31 mL and 18.21 mL, respectively. The molarity of sodium thiosulfate was determined to be 0.072 M in the previous section.

Homework Equations

the reaction equation is:
2 Na2S2O3(aq) + NaClO(aq) + H2O(aq) → Na2S4O6(aq) + NaCl(aq) + 2 NaOH(aq)

net ionic equation:
2 S2O32-(aq) + ClO-(aq) + H2O (l) → S4O62-(aq) + Cl-(aq) + 2 OH-(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to use this information to find 3 values for the molarity of sodium hypochlorite,

Physics news on Phys.org
since sodium thiosulfate is the titrant, and not sodium hypochlorite. I used the formula M1V1=M2V2 to find that the molarity of sodium hypochlorite is 0.0084 M. However, I don't know how to find the average molarity of sodium hypochlorite since I only have one value.

Related to What is the Average Molarity of Sodium Hypochlorite in a Titration Experiment?

1. What is the purpose of "Electrochemistry Lab Part C"?

The purpose of "Electrochemistry Lab Part C" is to study the relationship between the electrical potential and concentration of a solution, and to determine the electrochemical cell potentials of different redox reactions.

2. What materials and equipment are needed for "Electrochemistry Lab Part C"?

The materials and equipment needed for "Electrochemistry Lab Part C" include a voltmeter, various electrodes (such as copper, zinc, and silver), solutions of different concentrations, and a salt bridge.

3. How is the electrical potential of a solution measured in "Electrochemistry Lab Part C"?

The electrical potential of a solution is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected to the electrodes placed in the solution. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between the two electrodes, which is then used to calculate the overall electrical potential of the solution.

4. What is the purpose of the salt bridge in "Electrochemistry Lab Part C"?

The salt bridge is used to complete the circuit and allow for the flow of ions between the two half-cells of the electrochemical cell. It prevents the solutions from mixing and maintains a constant ionic environment for the redox reaction to occur.

5. How do the concentration and electrical potential of a solution affect each other in "Electrochemistry Lab Part C"?

In "Electrochemistry Lab Part C", the electrical potential of a solution is directly proportional to the concentration of the ions present in the solution. As the concentration increases, the electrical potential also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Nernst equation.