What Is the Average Value of Sin²(wt) Over a Period?

In summary, you can find the average value of sin2wt by integrating sin2wt from 0 to 2π and dividing by the total number of values.
Dexter Neutron
Member warned about posting with no effort
How to find the average value of sin2wt?

Mod note: Thread locked due to lack of homework template and no effort shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find the average of any periodic, integrable function?

Krylov said:
How do you find the average of any periodic, integrable function?
That's what I am asking

Do you have any ideas yourself?

Krylov said:
Do you have any ideas yourself?
I know that average of any function is equal to sum of all the values of the function divided by number of values.
So we can integrate sin2wt is the interval 0 to 2π and divided it by the total number of values.
But what is the total number of values.How to find it?

Dexter Neutron said:
I know that average of any function is equal to sum of all the values of the function divided by number of values.
So we can integrate sin2wt is the interval 0 to 2π and divided it by the total number of values.

First, note that ##sin^2(wt)## repeats every ##\pi## units.

What if you could find the average value of this function, call it ##a##, and then you drew a rectangle of height ##a## from ##0## to ##\pi##. What could you say about the area of that rectangle?

Dexter Neutron said:
Indeed.
Dexter Neutron said:
You correctly recalled the definition of the average of finitely many values ##a_1,\ldots,a_n## as
$$
\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i} \qquad (1)
$$
Now, your problem is that for your function there is an infinitude of values. For such a case you need a new definition of "average". It is obtained by replacing the sum in (1) by an integral and dividing by the length of the interval. So, if ##f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## is a function, you can define its average over any interval ##[a,b]## as
$$
\overline{f} := \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b{f(x)\,dx}
$$
When the interval is unbounded, you have to use a limit. So, for your function ##f(t) := \sin^2{\omega t}## you get for its average over ##\mathbb{R}##,
$$
\overline{f} = \lim_{T \to \infty}\frac{1}{2T}\int_{-T}^T{f(t)\,dt}
$$
However, because your function is periodic with period ##\tau := \tfrac{\pi}{\omega}##, all you need to do to calculate the above is to integrate from ##0## to ##\tau## and divide by ##\tau## to obtain ##\overline{f}##. (Hint: the answer does not depend on ##\omega##.)

Last edited:

FAQ: What Is the Average Value of Sin²(wt) Over a Period?

What is the definition of the average of a sine function?

The average of a sine function is the sum of all the values of the function over a given interval, divided by the length of the interval. It is a measure of the central tendency of the function.

How is the average of a sine function calculated?

To calculate the average of a sine function, you must first find the definite integral of the function over the given interval. Then, divide this value by the length of the interval. This will give you the average value of the function over that interval.

What is the significance of the average of a sine function?

The average of a sine function can be used to determine the mean value of the function over a given interval, which can be useful in applications such as signal processing and data analysis. It can also provide insights into the overall behavior and shape of the function.

Can the average of a sine function be negative?

Yes, the average of a sine function can be negative. This means that the function has more negative values than positive values over the given interval. It is important to consider both the sign and magnitude of the average when interpreting its meaning.

How does the average of a sine function differ from the average of a cosine function?

The average of a sine function and the average of a cosine function are calculated in the same way, but they may have different values. This is because the sine and cosine functions have different shapes and properties, and therefore their averages will also differ.

Back