What is the average velocity equation?

In summary, the context of the problem will determine whether the variable v is referring to velocity or speed. The average velocity of the given graph is not zero, as it is not uniformly accelerated. The formula v[average]=0.5(v[final]+v[initial]) does not apply in this case.
Helicobacter
1. When I see the variable v at some place, how do I know as to whether v is being defined as velocity or speed? On Wikipedia both, velocity and speed, are referring to a formula with v.
2. What is the average velocity of the following: http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3798/veloc0zt.jpg
(consider one unit=1s resp. 1m/s and the vector of the velocity is always 0°)? According to my book it must be zero: v[average]=0.5(v[final]+v[initial]). Is the book right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helicobacter said:
1. When I see the variable v at some place, how do I know as to whether v is being defined as velocity or speed? On Wikipedia both, velocity and speed, are referring to a formula with v.
The context of the problem will tell you which is meant.

2. What is the average velocity of the following: http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3798/veloc0zt.jpg
(consider one unit=1s resp. 1m/s and the vector of the velocity is always 0°)? According to my book it must be zero: v[average]=0.5(v[final]+v[initial]). Is the book right?
If I'm interpreting that graph correctly, the average velocity (or speed) is certainly not zero! (That formula only makes sense for uniformly accelerated motion, but the motion shown in the graph is not uniformly accelerated: the first half is speeding up, the second half is slowing down.) Did the book really say that the average speed shown in that graph is zero? Or are you applying the formula yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
I formed the graph without considering uniformly accelerated motion. I understand now - thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:

Related to What is the average velocity equation?

1. What is the formula for average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is average velocity = displacement ÷ time, where displacement is the change in position and time is the duration of the motion.

2. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time.

3. Can the average velocity equation be used for objects with changing velocities?

Yes, the average velocity equation can be used for objects with changing velocities. However, it will only give the average rate of change over the entire time interval and may not accurately represent the object's motion at any given moment.

4. Is displacement always measured in meters and time in seconds in the average velocity equation?

No, displacement can be measured in any unit of length, such as centimeters or kilometers, and time can be measured in any unit of time, such as minutes or hours. The units used will depend on the specific application and measurement system being used.

5. Can the average velocity equation be used for objects moving in a curved path?

Yes, the average velocity equation can be used for objects moving in a curved path. However, it will only give the average rate of change over the entire time interval and may not accurately represent the object's motion at any given moment. For curved paths, it is often more useful to use the instantaneous velocity equation to calculate the object's velocity at a specific point in time.