What is the Beam Support Force Question?

In summary, the unknown force at the right end of the beam is P which must equal .75*(60+93.75)-60*1.5 or P=147.5.
enveng2013

Homework Statement

Ok so I have a beam with the forces shown below. There is a 3 m span between the supports (A&B) and both of the supports are 1.5 m from the end of the beam. The 60 lb force is .75 meters left of support A and .75 m from the left end of the beam. P is an unknown force which I must solve for at the right end of the beam. I am allowed 33.75 lb on the left support and 93.75 lb on the right (this came from a stress equation I'm pretty confident those numbers are right).

Homework Equations

No real relevant equations except moment and force.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the force at A should be described by the moment around B divided by the distance from B to A. Thus giving a beam where the moment forces are zero.

FA=(P*1.5-60*3.75)/3

Then force B can be related to A because the forces in the y direction must be zero or the beam would move

Thus FB=(60+P)-FA or FB=(60+P)-(P*1.5-60*3.75)/3

I've tried plugging in the maximum forces for both but I can't seem to get an answer that works for both supports.

If you guys could help me or even steer me in the right direction that would be great.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to write all of the equations of equilibrium in order to obtain correct solutions for RA and RB. That means the sum of the forces = 0 and the sum of the moments = 0.
As the problem is stated, you have three unknowns (P, RA, and RB) and have shown only one moment equation (sort of).

I actually just looked at a solutions manual. I got the answer right from what I had. It just didn't seem right to me for some reason.

If only Life came with a solutions manual.

They're not always useful. Sometimes though, it's nice to know what you got was right.

Related to What is the Beam Support Force Question?

1. What is a beam support force?

A beam support force refers to the amount of force that is being applied to a beam at any given point. This force is necessary to keep the beam in place and prevent it from collapsing or bending under the weight it is supporting.

2. How is a beam support force calculated?

A beam support force is calculated by taking into account the weight of the beam itself, the weight of any objects or materials being supported by the beam, and the distance between the support points. This calculation can be done using equations such as the sum of forces and moments.

3. What are the different types of beam support forces?

There are three main types of beam support forces: point forces, distributed forces, and concentrated moments. Point forces are applied at a single point on the beam, distributed forces are spread out along the length of the beam, and concentrated moments are applied at specific points on the beam that cause it to rotate.

4. How does the type of beam affect the support force?

The type of beam can have a significant impact on the support force required. For example, a cantilever beam (supported at one end only) will require a larger support force than a simply supported beam (supported at both ends). Additionally, the material, size, and shape of the beam can also affect the support force needed.

5. How can I ensure that the beam support force is sufficient?

To ensure that the beam support force is sufficient, it is important to carefully calculate and consider all of the factors that may affect it, such as the weight and placement of the load, the type and size of the beam, and the support points. It is also important to consult with structural engineers or other experts if needed to ensure the safety and stability of the beam.