What Is the Best Approach to Integrate ln(sec θ - tan θ) from -π/4 to π/4?

In summary, integrating a secant function is even more difficult than integrating a tangent function.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Integrate:[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ-\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex]

Homework Equations

Properties of definite integrals, basic integration formulae, trigonometric identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

By properties of definite integrals, the same integral I wrote as equivalent to[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ+\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex].
Because[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx=\int_{a}^{b} f(a+b-x)\,dx[/tex](replacing θ by π/4-π/4-θ) Now, I think of adding these two integrals to form an equation and solving for [itex]I[/itex] but I'm messing up. Am I doing wrong? Is there any better/easy way?
Thanks for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicoRaj said:

Homework Statement

Integrate:[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ-\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex]

Homework Equations

Properties of definite integrals, basic integration formulae, trigonometric identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

By properties of definite integrals, the same integral I wrote as equivalent to[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ+\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex].
Because[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx=\int_{a}^{b} f(a+b-x)\,dx[/tex](replacing θ by π/4-π/4-θ) Now, I think of adding these two integrals to form an equation and solving for [itex]I[/itex] but I'm messing up. Am I doing wrong? Is there any better/easy way?
Thanks for your time and help.

What do you get if you add them? It's quite obvious.

Instead, you can notice that the integrand is an odd function, do you see why?

I tried that at first but I couldn't come to a decision, I can't see if it's odd or even. The secant is an even function right?

PhysicoRaj said:
I tried that at first but I couldn't come to a decision, I can't see if it's odd or even. The secant is an even function right?

Yes, secant is an even function.

Define ##f(\theta)=\ln\left(\sec\theta-\tan\theta\right)##. Hence, ##f(-\theta)=\ln\left(\sec\theta+\tan\theta\right)##. What do you get if you add ##f(\theta)## and ##f(-\theta)##? Please show the attempt.

It's [itex]ln(1)=0[/itex]

PhysicoRaj said:
It's [itex]ln(1)=0[/itex]

Right!

So ##f(\theta)+f(-\theta)=0##. Do you see why it is an odd function? :)

Likes 1 person
Ahh.. I get it right now Pranav, thanks a lot! :smile:

FAQ: What Is the Best Approach to Integrate ln(sec θ - tan θ) from -π/4 to π/4?

1. How do I identify the appropriate method for solving a definite integral?

To determine the appropriate method for solving a definite integral, you must first check if it is a standard form, such as a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function. If it is not a standard form, then you can try using substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. If none of these methods work, you may need to use more advanced techniques such as trigonometric substitution or the method of residues.

2. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give you a function with a constant of integration. In other words, a definite integral calculates the area under a curve between two points, while an indefinite integral finds the antiderivative of a function.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a definite integral?

Yes, many calculators have built-in functions for solving definite integrals. However, it is important to note that these calculators may not be able to solve more complex integrals or may not give the most accurate answer. It is always best to check your work and use multiple methods to confirm your answer.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a definite integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a definite integral include forgetting to account for the limits of integration, not simplifying the integrand before integrating, and making mistakes with algebraic manipulations. It is also important to be careful with signs and constants throughout the integration process.

5. How can I check if my solution to a definite integral is correct?

To check if your solution to a definite integral is correct, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. This means that if you take the derivative of your solution and it matches the original integrand, then your solution is correct. You can also use online calculators or plug your solution back into the original integrand and see if it yields the correct value.