What is the Best Book for Learning About Single Phase Induction Motor Design?

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in learning about induction motors, particularly single phase induction motors and their design. They are looking for a book recommendation that covers both theoretical discussions and practical repair techniques. After not receiving a reply for some time, they ask for any good book recommendations specifically on single phase induction motors. The expert summarizer suggests two reference books on electrical machines, "Electric Machines: Theory, Operating Applications and Controls" by Charles Hubert and "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen Chapman. They also recommend a book on electric motor repair by Rosenberg and Hand, which they believe is a good blend of theory and practicality.
I_am_learning
I want to learn about Induction Motors in detail (down to construction and design). But I currently want to emphasize on single phase induction motors and their design.
I will be involved in motors repair works, so given a blank iron core of a motor, I want to be able to select wire sizes and capacitor to tailor the performance for different applications.
Can you suggest me a good book?
I have had a EE degree, so I want a book that is not just the repair manual for technician, but with theoretical discussion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No reply for so long! Ok, then
Any [STRIKE]good[/STRIKE] book on Single phase Induction motors? :rolleyes:

You could try the Amazon website Amazon.com

Just type "induction motors".

Books mostly have customer reviews although you don't know the credentials of the reviewers.
But it is a start.

There tend to be two canonical references for electrical machines (including induction machines):

1. Charles Hubert's Electric Machines: Theory, Operating Applications and Controls
2. Stephen Chapman's Electric Machinery Fundamentals

Hubert's book is thorough but very long winded, and Chapman's book elaborates on a bit more of the math, as well as covering some details missed by Hubert's book, including the double (or multiple) squirrel cage set up.

I guess all this depends on how well versed you are in this material already. As for actual design (as in, the specifications and dimensions of the machines, materials, etc), as I'm sure this has little relevance outside of industry (the home hobbyist would rarely build his own induction machine I'd think due to requirements), hopefully another member may be able to better direct you to any material.

electric motor repair - rosenberg / hand

Not the level of explanation you would receive in an engineering textbook on motors but the perfect blend of theory and practicality in my opinion.

Also very cool as it opens in two books. One half containing the theory and it references the illustrations in the other book. so you can reference them while your reading.

Related to What is the Best Book for Learning About Single Phase Induction Motor Design?

1. What is the best book for learning about induction motors?

The best book for learning about induction motors is "Induction Motors: Analysis and Torque Control" by T.J.E. Miller. It provides a comprehensive overview of the theory, design, and operation of induction motors.

2. Is there a specific book that covers both theory and practical applications of induction motors?

Yes, "Induction Motor Control: Design and Implementation" by J. Van Wylen covers both the theory and practical applications of induction motors. It includes examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts learned.

3. Are there any books that focus on the latest advances in induction motor technology?

Yes, "Advanced Induction Motor Control: Design and Implementation" by R. Krishnan is a comprehensive resource that covers the latest advances in induction motor technology, including vector control and sensorless control techniques.

4. Are there any books that specifically cover the design of induction motors?

Yes, "Design of Rotating Electrical Machines" by Juha Pyrhönen, Tapani Jokinen, and Valéria Hrabovcová provides a detailed guide to the design of all types of rotating electrical machines, including induction motors.

5. Are there any books that focus on the maintenance and troubleshooting of induction motors?

Yes, "Practical Troubleshooting of Electrical Equipment and Control Circuits" by Mark Brown covers the maintenance and troubleshooting of various types of electrical equipment, including induction motors. It includes practical tips and techniques for identifying and solving common issues.