What is the best book for learning probability theory as a beginner?

In summary, the topics in probability theory that you will need to study include probability, conditional probability, random variables, expected value, specific discrete and continuous distributions, multivariate random variables, moment generating function, sampling distributions, point and interval estimation, testing of hypothesis, goodness of fit and contingency tables, and linear regression. A recommended book for beginners is "Intro to Math Stat" by Hogg McKean and Craig, which covers all of these topics and is used for studying for the actuarial exam 1p. This book also includes practical applications for learning, making it a helpful resource. You can check it out at your local library.
vandanak
i have to study following topics in probability theorem and iam totally a beginner so please suggest me a book
Probability, conditional probability, random variables, Expected Value, Specific discrete and continuous distributions, e.g. binomial, Poisson, geometric, Pascal, hypergeometric, Uniform, exponential and normal, Poisson process, Multidimensional random variables, Multinomial and bivariate normal distributions, Moment generating function, Law of large numbers and central limit theorem, Sampling distributions, Point and interval estimation, Testing of hypothesis, Goodness of fit and contingency tables. Linear regression.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hogg McKean and Craig Intro to Math Stat

thanks for help rochfor 1

might be round about, but
probability for risk management, edition 1 or 2

has just about ALL those topics listed and i learned very well from it, I prefer to learn from application so this was great for me (still provides same foundation as traditional stats/prob book)...this book is used to study/learn for exam 1p for actuarial exam set.

check it out a your library if possible,

Related to What is the best book for learning probability theory as a beginner?

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and the likelihood of their outcomes. It provides a framework for understanding and quantifying uncertainty in various situations.

2. How is probability theory used?

Probability theory is used in a wide range of fields, including statistics, economics, engineering, and physics. It helps in making predictions and decisions based on uncertain data, and is also used in risk assessment and modeling complex systems.

3. What are the key concepts in probability theory?

The key concepts in probability theory include sample space, events, and probability. Sample space refers to the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment, while events are subsets of the sample space. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, expressed as a number between 0 and 1.

4. What are the two main types of probability?

The two main types of probability are theoretical probability and experimental probability. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual observations and data.

5. What are some common applications of probability theory?

Probability theory is used in many real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and sports betting. It is also essential in designing and analyzing experiments in scientific research and in making informed decisions in business and everyday life.